Topic

Backpack recommendation needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpack recommendation needed

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Peter J
    Spectator

@northoakland

Locale: Temescal Creek

Backpack recommendation needed.

I realize that these threads are pretty common, but I am not keeping up with all of the smaller manufacturers of backpacks so I am reaching out to the collective mind for assistance:

Here is what I need to be able to do with the pack-

-Backpack with children (1st & 4th grade). = bulky items
    -Be gentle on my back – I have spent more than the last year recovering from a lower back injury
    -Trips in the 3-4 day range. We are not covering lots of distance, but it takes a long time. Eventually we will cover more distance in the same time.
    -Weight- 30lbs will be common because of the family.
    -Sierra Nevada (CA) July-Sept

I am 5’10” 155 lbs with a slim build.

Backpacking with family means that I need to be able to carry slightly more weight than usual because I will be carrying half of the total food and I need to be able to carry bulky things (sleeping bag/clothing for the 1st grader) as well as my share of the shelter.

I do not currently have time for MYOG although I enjoy it.

Thank you for all of your suggestions!

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

My husband has had 3 back surgeries (2 lumbar fusions and 1 cervical fusion).  He is medium height about 5′ 9″; since we are older, he is a little thicker than he used to be but has always been a slender build.   Since we backpack in Texas–for example Big Bend and Guadalupe Mts.–we often have to carry at least 30 lbs. or more, maybe even 40 lbs, because of the water load.

Pack fit, like shoe fit, can be pretty individual so you might need to experiment some.  He tried an Osprey Atmos 65, then an Osprey Exos 58, and now carries a Gossamer Gear Mariposa, which he really likes.  Last summer on a road trip we stopped into Six Moon Designs in Portland, for an unrelated purpose.  He tried on one of their Fusion models with weight in it and said that too felt super comfortable.  It was heavier than the Mariposa though, and we weren’t really pack shopping.

I would say that unless you are totally a shoulder person (my younger son is a shoulder person so I know), you will want a frame and a comfortable hip belt for 30+ lb. loads.

P. S. Two of the brand names came up as links.  Editing to say that was somehow automatic, I didn’t create those links on purpose, and mean nothing by them being in my post.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

What about the Seek Outside Divide?  It can handle bulky items, carry a load well, and has a super robust suspention that should keep the weight on your hips.  The Seek Outside Flight is another solid choice, though a hair smaller pack bag and suspension rated to 50lbs instead of 100lbs.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

You probably really want a pack with a good frame. And not necessarily an internal frame. I’ve never even seen one, but the Seek Outside packs look interesting.

Even a pack with an old fashioned external frame might work well. A Kelty Trekker at 65L would probably carry bulky gear well. Now, this is 5 lb pack, and people here are going to say, “No!” But it is only going to be 1 or 2 lbs more than an UL framed pack. A couple extra lbs for something that might carry your gear, really really well isn’t going to be noticeable.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Is budget an issue?

I like the ULA Circuit, but replaces that with a Hanchor Marl for heavier carries. Both companies have larger packs as well.

I had a smaller HMG Windrider 2400 that carried really well. I’m going to try an HMG NorthRim 3900 when I can get out. That might replace all of the above. I like their Junction packs too, but found the NorthRim here on gearswap.

Fit has been so important to me, but you have to be willing to buy to try in most locations. Many of my friends have been totally satisfied with REI packs where you might get a good fit when the stores open. Even that is preliminary. The back measurement is important, but not the end-all.  As the pack gets heavier packs or my shoulders and hips, get more finicky. At least in the Sierra you shouldn’t have to carry too much H2O

Peter J
    Spectator

@northoakland

Locale: Temescal Creek

Thanks for the suggestions!

I did look at REI this spring and was surprised that commonly sold packs hadn’t gotten any lighter. Prior to kids I just a relatively light Granite Gear pack with some suspension. Then I dusted off my old Mountainsmith pack because I needed the volume to backpack with kids. The foam on that pack has turned to powder so I need a new pack.

I am not adverse to an external frame or the hybrid ones. A few folks have commented that the Seek Outside packs fit broad shoulders better. If that isn’t the case I’d be happy to try one. Although I am not a hunter so I don’t need to be able to carry 100lbs!

Cost is always a consideration, particularly in the current economy.

Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

I have a small frame {5 foot 9, 135 lb), not very wide shoulders, and the Seek Outside pack fits me great. Comfortably carries 45 lbs for family adventures. I have the Unaweep 6300, and often appreciate the extra volume. Compresses well when you don’t need all the space.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Try the Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor – you can pick these up for 150 bucks mostly – the 40-65 L capacity ones. These carry great and are very good load haulers. They also have a 60-75 L size which is a little bit more. They only have two sizes – S/M and M/L – if it fits you, it is a great pack. These can carry 35-45 lbs pretty comfortably.

I would try the Divide/Gila from Seek Outside as well – they are 2x the Flex Capacitor – if you are going to carry 35+ regularly.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I’ll second Brad’s recommendation of the Seek Outside Divide 4,500. It weighs 2lbs 15oz but can carry 100lbs. The external frame will be helpful for you, I believe, and the weight will transfer to your hips.

Another option would be the SO Gila 3,500. You’ll save 2 oz over the Divide but lose 1,000 cu in.

I have the Seek Outside 6,300 and it is my favorite backpack of all time. That includes a ZPacks, McHale pack and a few others I have.

Christopher R
    BPL Member

@chrisr18

I have a Gossamer Gear Mariposa.  It is super comfortable, but depinding how lightweight your gear is, it may not be big enough to carry your and your 1st grader’s gear.  It carries 30-35 lbs well.  I hear good things about the HMG Southwest, and it can carry a heavier load.

David K
    BPL Member

@back2basix

I’ll also say Seek Outside.  I have a Goshawk 4800 and it’s incredibly comfortable.  I’m 5’9, 170 lbs, slim/athletic build.  I got the breakaway hunting pack frame to be able to carry extra stuff in between the pack and the frame if needed. It adds a little weight but my pack can be anywhere from 40-100L and comes in at 4 lbs total, completely waterproof.  And their waterproof full-length side zipper is completely worth the extra ounce or so!

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

One of the issues I struggled with once I decided to go with Seek Outside was to get the integrated or breakaway platform. The integrated platform is what we backpackers all are typically used to.

A breakaway platform allows you to extend your main bag from the frame and put another bag in between. You typically see this with hunters who will carry meat in a separate bag.

I choose the breakaway platform because it was only a few ounce penalty but allows me to carry wood in a separate bag with having to put it in the main carry bag.  That keeps the main bag cleaner and doesn’t scratch it.

That platform also for a quick change of bags. For example, you can get a Gila 3,500 backpack but also separately buy a 4,800 Goshawk, 6,300 Fortress, or Saker bag that fits on the same frame. You can take one bag off and put on the other one(s) lickity split.  That’s not an option we backpackers are offered very often.

One more feature I love is instead of having buckles everywhere they use “gatekeepers”. They are less weight,  open and close in a second, and provide a better customizing of the location of where you tension your bag and attachments with straps.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

After using two different and very good REI FLASH UL internal frame packs I now have an Osprey EXOS 58. It is the most comfortable pack I’ve ever owned, UL or otherwise.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

I have a zPacks Arc Blast. It has good weight transfer the hips because of the external frame. The manufacturer rates it to 35 pounds, but I found that the upper limit of a comfortable load for it is around 30 pounds.

But if your situation is Dad carrying stuff for the whole family, try getting a used JanSport on CraigsList. The hip arm suspension on the older JanSports transfers weight to the hips wonderfully. It’s like having a 35 pound fanny pack.

Before the Arc Blast, I used a hybrid pack. I got a new old stock Carson 80 from PoshMark and modified the frame so it would accept the hip arm belt from my Yosemite. I did this because I got fed up of the packbag on my Yosemite (the first-generation model). Too many small pockets–often the main compartment was full, but the pockets were too small for what I needed to put in them. But this isn’t an issue with the second-generation modular Yosemite. That would be a good but if you can find one.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Most of these recommendations are for packs that struggle to carry 30 lbs comfortably, let alone carrying that all day and on someone who has back issues.

I would recommend as suggested, Seek Outside line of packs.  Likely either the Divide or the Gila.  Lightweight.  Functional load lifters. Stiff external frame design.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I’ll stand by my recommendations for the Hanchor and HMG 3400 packs, both of which are listed at 40+ lbs by the manufacturer.  I don’t carry that much weight and the OP may not either.  30 lbs is totally doable with either one of those packs

I had a Seek Outside pack and sold it.  It’s bigger, heavier, carries more – no doubt.  I’m not not saying it’s not good for it’s uses, but I found it less comfortable to carry  than the Hanchor or HMG2400 I had at the time – even with one of my heavier kits loaded.  I had to buy one to try one, and was glad I did.  So was the guy who bought it for me.   Note that it is more adjustable than the packs I recommend.  I also like the VX fabric used by SO and Hanchor for durability and water resistance.  I only want that or DCH.

Pack fit and satisfaction is so personal.  I think it’s one of the best items to buy used so you can try several if need be.

Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

Goes without saying, but the best thing to do is to try a bunch and see what you like.

When I was looking for backpacks a few years ago, I was sure I wanted an Osprey. After trying on every Osprey in the store, I just didn’t like how they fit. I settled on the Gregory Parragon 58. It was on sale at REI time I checked, and they have a 68L version too. It’s a legit pack and IMO carries extremely well. Definitely not ultralight, but a great “family” pack. A big reason I got it was because it has an adjustable torso, which means either my wife or I can carry it while the other carries our daughter. I’ve carried 50 lb in it without issue (no back pain, but my knees sure felt it of course).

What goes in your pack is just as important, so if your kids will carry all your gear,

I don’t think a pack that uses a foam pad as the frame, like the Mariposa, is a good option. My issue with too much weight on the shoulders is unbearable neck pains, which takes my mind away from the hike I’m supposed to be enjoying. Unless you are considering trying to go ultralight, I would lean towards a traditional framed pack (internal frame or stays) if I were in you’re shoes. I WILL actually be in your shoes in a few years with a 1st grader and 4th grader!

To each his own. These are all good opinions, but at the end of the day you’re the one wearing it, not us. Good luck!

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

I was a tester for HMG for a while.  Great packs but not enough support for someone who has this requirement:

“-Be gentle on my back – I have spent more than the last year recovering from a lower back injury”

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Take a look at Aarn. Distributing weight to the front of the belt has huge comfort and bio mechanical benefits. Featherlight freedom would suit.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I wish we had a library of backpacks we are interested in that we can “rent” for 1 or 2 weeks for a nominal fee before we commit to buying one we like. Maybe something BPL can provide? I am sure this is something tons of people will be interested in. Maybe the BPL community can provide used backpacks for free for this purpose..

Dave B
    BPL Member

@dmbyerley

Agree on the HMG. Love the pack for under 25 pounds. Used the HMG for last 5 years trying to keep weight low as I get through my 50s.   After a  32 pound load for 40 miles a month ago, I finally called Dan McHale. Even the demo pack is a huge difference in weight carry. That wide waist band and, for me, a slightly longer frame than my 27 inch torso would dictate, makes a huge difference in a 30-35 pound carry.  To me, the extra 2 pounds will likely allow me to travel further with a lot less pain. I get the pack in a few weeks and have a permit for King Canyon so I’ll give it a good test!  But I would really err on the side of wider waist band, firmer stays, and a frame longer than your torso – and don’t worry about the extra weight if your time with the packs starts to impact the fun or what you can try.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“I wish we had a library of backpacks we are interested in that we can “rent” for 1 or 2 weeks for a nominal fee before we commit to buying one we like.”

Years ago a few of us started a backpacking loaner closet with various gear we were willing to loan out to interested people to test out. It went away from lack of use.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools