Topic

Backpack Planning Pain – Local Hikes vs Exotic Destinations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Backpack Planning Pain – Local Hikes vs Exotic Destinations

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey H
    BPL Member

@jeffers

So, I’m trying to determine how to maximize my enjoyment of backpacking and there are a few variables in my life that make it hard to determine what skills and thoughts to work on or leave alone. Many of you have probably thought through this a good bit already and I’d love to hear some of your conclusions.

I live in the southeast and have traditionally done solo trips in places with as much solitude as I can find. Generally, I see very few people on my trips and I do like it that way. Love people – just introverted. I’m in Radford Virginia so I do most of my hiking in Mt Rogers national recreation area. I’m starting to explore the Monongahela National Forest in WV too.

Because my career has changed in the last few years I now have more opportunities to do longer trips and go places that are arguably more beautiful in certain ways. “Out West”, is what I mean here. Last year I took my first trip out west and did 4 days in the Gila Wilderness (I was also visiting my brother in Silver City or I’d have spent more time in the Wilderness). It was fantastically different than what I’m used to here and the wide open and quiet views on top of the mountains seemed to scratch an itch that doesn’t get scratched in the woods of the southeast. I love both the wide open views out west and the dense forests here and I want to see more of both. Hey, I’d love to see the surface of the moon; the more exploration and variety the better right?

However, coordinating and paying for a trip like the one I did to the Gila seems like it may have been more effort than it was worth to me. The travel to and from was quite costly and draining in a way that hopping in my vehicle and driving to a trailhead never is. The planning itself was quite daunting for me too. For example: I’ve never used a shuttle before and although I found a couple of services I wasn’t really sure I could trust them with getting me out and back and to the airport in a timely way. Most of these services seem to be just a dude with a car and not much a reputation to keep up – maybe I’m wrong on that. I ended up just renting a vehicle because it seemed the most realistic way to get home on time…but expensive.

I’m an INTJ and love to analyze and systematize things but when it comes to vacation and time off my shadow side comes out. I hardly want to plan at all. Just wandering around in the woods and figuring out how the trails all fit together by repeatedly hiking the same forests is my go to.

If I’m being honest I’d like to just do the wandering around thing that I just described but in  different areas out west. But that doesn’t seem safe or realistic in terms of $ or the stress of planning.

Also, I have found that I don’t actually enjoy being out solo more than about 3 nights. I feel like at that point I’ve caught up on all the thinking I want to do and am ready to get back to life. It would be different if I didn’t have 3 little kids and a wife – I could see enjoying longer trips then – but I do and I start missing them and perceiving they need me back.

Anyway, my thinking at this point is just to make peace with the shorter more local trips and enjoy what I have in front of me. My son is 9 and he has started to go with me some which I’m loving. Maybe if he keeps enjoying it we’d take some longer hikes together out west? Longer trips seem possibly more enjoyable with a partner? Another potential positive about east coast hiking I’m thinking about is getting a hammock system – I’ve slept in one before and I find it blissfully comfortable.

Just curious what others who love backpacking may think about these conclusions I’m forming or does it sound like I’m missing something and I’ll regret not pushing harder to head back out west?

One of the main things I’m still wondering is did I just overcomplicate the planning last year? Also, is the second big trip that involves flying way easier to pull off and I should try one more before concluding it’s not worth the effort and stress?

Thanks in advance : )

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Two ways to think about:

1) Epic trips make a cheap vacation (backpacking) expensive.

2) Backpacking in epic places make an expensive trip more affordable.

If you are feeling number 1, stay home and get your alone time in the woods close by. Once you start dreaming about epic places, think about it in terms of #2.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Out west

I’d go to epic and exotic.  The same trails are nice but after awhile I just don’t find them interesting unless there’s a little time away.

Out west I’d say low desert (Phoenix), SoCal desert, or the California coast in winter to early spring and high desert late spring basically.  The Sierra and Cascades for summer once the snow gets to your liking, then the post-monsoon Rockies usually late summer/early fall.

Now however fire and smoke season can complicate the west coast, plus the mountain west; 2021 had a “nonsoon” a.k.a. abnormally dryness and then this year, many New Mexico forests closed due to early summer wildfire, only to reopen due to the first monsoon rains.

May pay to keep a refundable ticket.

Also with more burnt areas out west, the ability to hike out of them is more important.  Nothing worse than setting up in a burnt area, then listen to the wind crash trees all around camp.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m an INTJ and love to analyze and systematize things but when it comes to vacation and time off my shadow side comes out. I hardly want to plan at all. Just wandering around in the woods and figuring out how the trails all fit together by repeatedly hiking the same forests is my go to.

This is me on my local hiking trails in the mountain preserves in Phoenix. I like wandering and understanding the connections between different trailheads. I’m starting to spatially connect Sabrina Basin, Piute Pass, and Humphreys Basin in a similar way, I’m recognizing peaks from other sides and realizing where the trails are in relation to each other.

If I’m being honest I’d like to just do the wandering around thing that I just described but in  different areas out west. But that doesn’t seem safe or realistic in terms of $ or the stress of planning.

Permits are a minor pain and obviously you have considerable distance to travel to get to the Sierras but there are definitely opportunities to wander out there and you can do it in an unplanned manner. You mentioned the moon… Some areas in the Sierras are so much like the moon it is hard for me to even believe they are real. It’s like being on the moon.

Disclaimer: I’m not a level 17 Sierra Wizard but feel free to PM or email me (matthew @ you know where dot com) and I can share some ideas with you.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Like me, you think too much. Just pick a beautiful spot and make it happen. Local is good, but good to break it up once a year or so with something different. I am a man of the west… The American west is amazing….

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I mostly use travel to extend the short Alaskan hiking / backpacking season.  January in Arizona, April in California (or France), etc.  As the seasons move through the latitudes, use it to seek out your preferred climate, hiking temps, etc.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Jeffery, you sound like me.  Didn’t have the kids but did have a business to run that kept me closer to home for many years with mostly only 3 day trips in the Southern Appalachians but I did have an excellent hiking partner who was up for most anything local.

Now I spend quick time thoroughly exploring a new local park, on trail and off, mapping it as I go when I can’t get out to the mountains.

Finally in my late 40’s I had more time and money to do the western trips I had been missing since I lived out there.  The first time flying to backpack is always a pain with great unknowns but they get easier with time and experience.  While I do go to different places out west, I have also immersed myself in Big Bend National park with almost annual December trips and it scratches my itch for really understanding a place and with regular trips it makes the travel from home to hike much easier as I know exactly what to expect, where to stay, how the permits work, etc.

Here is a piece I wrote about flying to backpack that may help you organize your efforts to go west.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I think you’ve asked some great questions—and as you will see, none of them have easy answers.  I am with David, in that I use my travel vacations to avoid the snow season in the Sierra–the Southwest is a great place to do this,  (although the Gila Wilderness is wonderful, it’s a bit too high for winter!).

I also use travel for work as a way to get places I wouldn’t normally see on my own budget.  If I can extend a work trip for a few days, I can often get in some great hiking in those wildly exotic destinations. But then, I don’t travel to Detroit or Omaha for work.

As others have noted, travel out West can be complicated, between snow for eight months of the year, and mosquitoes, fire and smoke the other four. I’m lucky that I live close enough to take advantage easily, and I’m retired, so I can reschedule easily as well.

But those local destinations can be really rewarding–especially with your son! I keep finding little corners of the world that are close to my house and offer real solitude. They may not be epic, but the joy they give is epic.  And there is no comparison–if you’re looking to Leave No Trace, then reducing your travel and its impact on the environment is a major consideration.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I have always loved the western states and Alaska, especially after my growing up years in the flat (but still often beautiful) midwest. I hear you on the wide open spaces, and fascinating landscapes – deserts, mountains, geology, etc. They will be here for you later in life too, when you have more time (and maybe money?). Or when your kids are more ready to go. A few contributors here have taken kids on the JMT. That would be amazing! Gotta have the right kids though, not mine!

I don’t mind the logistics of trip planning; I enjoy that part. Some hikes out west are logistically easy, but cost-wise will always be more economical if you’re spending longer out there, rather than just a few days. Lately I’ve been doing more trips Outside (I live in Alaska) and they are never less than 10 days. It’s expensive to fly from here.

To keep costs down, I take buses instead of renting cars, stay in hostels pre and post hike, use rideshares (aka dude with a car), etc. I rarely rent a car, unless I’m splitting with others. I avoid restaurants and shops, and do pretty well on minimizing expenses. I also don’t buy a lot of crap for the home, clothing, or go to movies or restaurants in my own city; pretty much all of my husband’s and my fun money goes to outdoor recreation or travel. Can you figure out what really makes you content and put all your efforts and finances there?

Although my kids are grown, I still have to really watch cost, in order to be able to keep doing this. I simply could not do it when my kids were young, nor did I want to; I wanted to spend every minute possible with them. I urge you to take them all camping/hiking as much as you can. Those memories are priceless. And maybe they’ll want to do a long explore with you some day.

I love the planning; it is part of my winter entertainment. There are fewer than 4 daylight hours to be had, during which I’m working in a windowless office, and by the time I get home, it’s completely dark. So visiting websites of fabulous places is part of the fun for me. My friends actually love it when I do most of the planning; they just go along! Maybe I should start a business for busy parents…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools