Topic

Backpack pad suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpack pad suggestions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Greg Deitrick
    BPL Member

@gld123

I recently purchased a backpack (Ohm 2) that I really like, but I’m wondering if I can optimize the pad.  This backpack has the pad on the inside of the pack.

With my usual gear the backpack is comfortable without the pad, so one option is to eliminate the pad, save an ounce or so and keep things simple.

Alternatively I am considering putting a pad – a piece of Ridge Rest – between the backpack and my back with the idea that a) it will keep my sweat off the backpack, b) the ridges of the pad might provide a bit of air to my back, and c) I can more easily use the pad as a sit pad.  I was going to try something minimal to hold the pad in place while I put on the backpack and expect it to stay wedged in place.  Is this likely to work?

Thanks for your input.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

When deciding between the Ohm 2.0 and the Gossamer Gear Gorilla I thought I would like the outside pad on the gorilla for the reason you mention.  I got both packs, but found the gorilla was as hot or hotter.  I returned the Gorilla because of fit.  Both seemed like great packs and it would have been tougher to choose if the gorilla was the next size down.

As for the heat, YMMV so give it a try.  It would still make it easier to use as a sit pad.  Maybe a few pieces of duct tape would suffice for a trial before cutting our sewing.  I’d be a little worried it may affect the way the pack rides.

Greg Deitrick
    BPL Member

@gld123

When deciding between the Ohm 2.0 and the Gossamer Gear Gorilla I thought I would like the outside pad on the gorilla for the reason you mention.  I got both packs, but found the gorilla was as hot or hotter.  I returned the Gorilla because of fit.  Both seemed like great packs and it would have been tougher to choose if the gorilla was the next size down.

That was my plan, but I got impatient and ordered the Ohm 2.0.  Meanwhile the Gorilla has been out of stock longer than expected.  Between the two I expected the 2016 Gorilla to perform better at heavier loads since the stay fits into a pocket on the hip belt and the Ohm stay seems less substantial.  But the Ohm seemed quite comfortable at 30 pounds; the design seems to be sufficient for the load.

I’ve shoved my Thermarest sit pad between my back and the pack and everything seemed to stay perfectly in place walking around the house, suggesting it might work for straight-up trail walking.  Maybe not so good if I was doing a lot of contortions.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools