Topic

Backpack Advice – former HMG Southwest User

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpack Advice – former HMG Southwest User

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John Papini
    BPL Member

@jpapini

Thru-hiked the PCT in 2016 with the 3400 HMG Southwest and it treated me well. Planning another thru-hike and am looking into alternatives.

Requirements:

1. Must transfer loads to my hips as well as or better than my 3400. This presumably precludes frameless packs. In any case, I use a NeoAir, so using a CCF pad as a frame is not an option. I have a light base weight, but trying to haul from KM to VVR in one go is heavy, as are some of the desert water carries.
    2. Must be no heavier than my HMG. If it is approximately the same weight, it must have a better suspension / weight carry capacity.
    3. Prefer for it to be waterproof.
    4. The 55L internal/10L external was a good size, but I would consider going slightly smaller as I will be sharing gear this time around. Still, not too much smaller as I need to carry a bearcan and be prepared for long food hauls.

Is it easy to compare backpack capacities based on their listed liter volumes, or is HMG known to be small/big?

In my quest so far, I’ve come across the SWD Long Haul 40L and 50L, which are 8-10oz lighter than the HMG and seem pretty similar. Any thoughts on these packs in particular vs. HMG, or any other suggestions that meet my above requirements?

Also willing to pay for a custom-made backpack (I’ve heard the name McHale), but don’t know much about the custom backpack market or whether they use cuben fiber and other lightweight materials.

Thanks!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

SWD Long Haul 50 is a good option.  If you make it out of Xpac it would be waterproof (minus the seams – plan on taping or seam sealing them).

I think the shoulder straps and hipbelt is better than the HMG – the hipbelt pockets certainly are.

They have a wait list so order early.

McHale makes a great pack, but you won’t get down to the 2lb Range with him, maybe 3lbs.

RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

The SWD long haul is a nice customizable pack. However, once you switch to more durable fabrics (eg vx21) – which you should for a thru – it will weigh about the same as your hmg.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I have the SWD Long Haul 50. It’s a good pack, but I might be selling it (don’t ask yet, I’m not done comparing it). I got a Zpacks Arc Haul and prefer it. It’s lighter and while it doesn’t eliminate back sweat, it does reduce it with the arc.

The SWD material feels more durable and once you add hip pockets, etc. to the Arc Haul, the SWD is a good bit less expensive.

Both are highly water resistant, but do not rely on a pack to be waterproof. Protect your sleeping bag and clothes in something waterproof.

Both are good choices.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I’ve been using an 20-25 ounce Zpacks Arc Blast since 2014.

Due to its strong & flexible “external frame”, it does a marvelous job of transferring weight to the hips.

In my opinion, its better at transferring load than many “name brand” internal frame packs, and certainly better than any frameless pack on the market, that’s for sure.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I think it would be worth trying out the Katabatic Gear Onni in Liteskin. I find it more comfortable than my old HMG SW pack. Weight is about the same. Since the Onni is a non-custom pack, you can buy it, try it on, and return it if you don’t like it.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

At 2 lbs. 11 oz. my Osprey EXOS 58 does a great job of hauling up to 45 lbs. in relative comfort.

It is called an “internal” frame but it really is more and external frame within the back mesh trampoline. Sometimes, for longer trips, I use light side pockets to up its capacity to 60 liters.

I mention the EXOS 58 here even though it may be 8 oz. heavier only because it is the most comfortable UL pack I’ve carried. I did cut off the left side “pole carrier” B/C IMHO it is a useless as t!ts on a boar.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools