Topic

Backcountry weather average resources?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Backcountry weather average resources?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

What resources are people using for finding average weather for backcountry destinations? I’m familiar with averages tied to cities and towns, but not for the backcountry.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The park rangers at RMNP showed me they use a section of the NOAA website that lets them enter in peaks or lat/longs for weather.

I’ve also had surprising success calling weather stations in an area directly. I don’t think they get a ton of calls but the guys I talked too were really excited that someone called them and wanted to hear them talk about weather… They were explaining to me all the things…

Ranger stations are worth calling to confirm the weather you’ve already read.

Usually when I’ve checked weather from multiple sources atleast one of the sources disagrees with the others. I go with whatever the consensus opinion is or the one who sounds the most convincing on the phone.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I asked the same question 3-4 years ago and Pmags gave me a site that uses area names, I had it in my Bpl watch kist but lost it after the “upgrade” (or is it downgrade)

Might be worth  shooting Mags a pm.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Edward, are you asking for long term weather averages for planning purposes or pinpoint forecasts?

The NOAA site has the best pinpoint forecasts as you can drill down and zoom in and click on the area map on the page exactly where you want to be.

If you scroll down you can usually find “local climatology” which will lead you to long term data.

If you use Caltopo you can right click any place on a map and get the pinpoint NOAA forecast that way too.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

That’s the one Alex, thanks

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Also here, for precipitation and snowpack. Gives a few days forward forecast as well.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I agree with the NOAA for pinpoint forecasts that are generally pretty good, and was unaware of the Caltopo tie in – very cool.

I read that you are looking long term for forecasts but perhaps I read that wrong. I do t have a perfect system but I use historical averages for the closest town (accuweather has daily highs and lows) and adjust for elevation at about 3.3*f per 1000ft. That gives me a decent idea on what to plan for until close to the trip when more accurate forecasts come out.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

The Weather Underground app will give you hour by hour forecasts… but I’ve never seen that at NOAA…

billy

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Brad, Yes that’s also what I’ve been doing, and I am looking for longterm averages.

At weather.gov, there are some additional resources:

A map of how they expect temps to diverge from normal over the next three months – http://w2.weather.gov/climate/l3mto.php

A map with links to various climate data, including monthly summaries and averages, but for a limited number of weather stations

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/index.php

There’s more to this site, I’ll report back if I explore it further.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

For long-range planning (looking at averages) weatherspark.com has useful tools. IIRC you can search by coordinates to get precise results.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools