Topic

Avoiding facial/nose sunburns

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Avoiding facial/nose sunburns

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Todd G
    BPL Member

@todd-goodenowgmail-com

I’m hoping someone will have a secret recipe that can help me avoid getting basically my nose burned above 10k and when hiking in the tropics. I’ve tried using liquid mineral sunscreen which works as long as I reapply every hour (often forget when exhausted and slogging). Using a buff works 100% however when you need it the most is when it can be miserable to use (uphill, sun exposed above treeline, breathing through merino). I wear a sun hoodie with soft cap, merino buff, and apply mineral stick sunscreen 50spf when dropping the buff already and still get minor burns to my nose mostly occasionally.  I’ve thought about wide brimmed hats and the like but it wouldn’t address reflective uv light from snow fields, light colored rocks, etc. How do others deal with this?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I met a couple backpacking a month ago where the wife was allergic to sunlight.  She covered up in mostly synthetics, but wore a really secure/structured  trail running cap from Sunday Afternoons (heat is a problem I’m guessing) with sun hoody, full sunglasses, … and a sort of sun veil … like Sunumbra

There’s also face protectors that are more substantial than high neck gaiters  .. thinking Shelta.com.

There’s color selection, but also fabric.  I like some sun hats for instance, but some have fabrics with a heavy hand I’m thinking more useful on boats .. thinking it could be similar to face protectors.  In hats, etc..  I prefer a lighter feel for backpacking (the Buff being barely tolerable but ymmv).

Sounds like you may need overlapping between the face covering and sun glasses so the latter should be a big style.

You’re not the only one as pretty intense sun still exposes weeks spots between mineral suncreen on the nose and my big cheap sunglasses.   Been thinking of some sort of big lens glacier glasses with nose guard but pretty expensive vs my corner store (7-11) shades at $14.   Not exactly on a boutique budget..  Speaking of which brings a ZZ Top song to mind ..

https://youtu.be/QePcj9BplMQ

Todd G
    BPL Member

@todd-goodenowgmail-com

I recently made the switch to julbo fury photochromic glasses and had my mind blown by not needing to remove them in low light forests and held up well in snow fields at altitude. The obvious solution there are the UV nose shields and your right some glasses come with them. But DEAR GOD. I know hiking is humbling but…

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

https://www.sunprecautions.com/product/48100

You can’t tell from the photo but the sides of that drape have velcro running all the way up So you can ‘zip up’ the drape fully over your nose while the rest stays in place. The solumbra fabric is 100% spf. Notice the roomy/baggy fit; this helps with cooling. Mosquitos can’t bite through the fabric. Dorky, yes, but still maybe something to consider. It functions as one piece, so no futzing with a hat and a buff. It can go all theway to jsut hanging at your sides to zipped fully up.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

zip up’ the drape fully over your nose ..

Could’ve been that one so saw or their (non virus proof) facemask like This one:

https://www.sunprecautions.com/product/32890

She was pretty much covered though, in an athletic way.

glasses

A little off topic but I’ve gone with secured glasses more due to more blowdowns and thorny overgrowth that almost for me in the eye (California deserts and Oregon forests).  A lot of trail maintenance fell behind due to Covid, money diverted to fires, etc..

It is beneficial that even 7-11 UV proof shades provide a cooling effect for my eyes once the sunlight really hits.

Won’t leave for the TH without at least a pair of … cheap sunglasses.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

“Could’ve been that one so saw or their (non virus proof) facemask like This one:”

well no, the one I linked to isn’t anything at all like that.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

B X G Nose Covers, face masks AND MORE…

https://bekogear.com/

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

. Make your own sun nose guard just an idea for something cheap or not cheap and made by Julbo ULTIMATE COVER .

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Wow, Link, that MYO nose guard is fantastic! Love it! Thanks.

John D
    BPL Member

@chef4

I use a nozcon, although my wife makes fun of it, it works.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I’m not sure why this was on Bekogear. But it is what it is ;) I think my chin would still get really burned with those

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Decades ago, I made a bit of leather that snapped over my glacier glasses rather like than the bit granny made in the video posted by Link. It worked well and didn’t create the foggy glasses other face shields did. Kind of like this but simpler, without the studs:

Now, I’d probably make it out of Tyvek, painted dark.

Todd G
    BPL Member

@todd-goodenowgmail-com

I ended up using mineral sunscreen stick, applying liberally, and using a keffiyeh/shemagh as a wrap over my sun hoody on a recent trip. I didn’t get burned for once and was at high altitudes with some snow fields. I ended up wrapping my head on all sides rather than just like a large bandana, this allowed me to adjust the portion of the fabric in front of my face so I could increase space when too hot climbing hills. Despite being multiple layers of cotton it provided good protection. It’s not perfect as you have all that fabric around you, however being cotton it breathed and I used it more than my merino buff. I will probably stick with this until I find something better.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Todd, you might google around about the efficacy of cotton for blocking harmful sun rays. (It’s not very good, to cut to the chase). Not getting burned doesn’t protect folks from possible melanomas. The mineral sunscreen is very effective however, so this combination is fine, I’d guess, as long as one keeps applying the sunscreen.

Honestly, the 100% spf drape hat that I posted earlier is simpler and doubtless cooler, and more effective, than the combinations of coverings mentioned here. maybe just too dorky?

It’s less dorky than a studded nose cone, if you ask me, unless you want to appear all Mad Max.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

“I’ve thought about wide brimmed hats and the like but it wouldn’t address reflective uv light from snow fields, light colored rocks, etc.”

I just got back from 8 days above 11,000 ft in high Sierra… wide brim hat, not a drop of sun screen, no buff or hoodie used… and no sunburn… just a mild tan… and lots of hiking above treeline on reflective granite. But a lot of snow might be another story…

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

Beko nose covers do work but are hilarious looking

I also highly recommend sunscreen sticks by Sea & Summit (not Sea TO Summit). By far the best zinc sunscreen I have used. Met the owner a few years ago mid pandemic on a remote hike. The 50 SPF is insanely thick (it uses lanolin as part of the mix – which I have never seen in any other sunscreen) and is slightly tinted so you dont get that super white look of zinc. It is so thick it is actually difficult to wash off your hands if you rub it in which is good and bad (good if you want it to stay on your nose all day obviously).

My go to for sun is a wide brim henschel breezer hat + the above sunscreen + suncloud montecito shades (they look like normal wayfarers but have most of the sports sunglasses features) + deep front zip sunshirt like the patagonia cap lightweight / OR Echo / Rab pulse. This gives you tons of venting options and maximum airflow. I also carry multiple Echo buffs depending on the conditions and if I need to wear a mountaineering helmet then I strap a totally not nerdy looking at all wide brim made by “da brim”.

In true desert heat with low airflow (low wind) though nothing beats the sun umbrella. They of course suck when going through brush or in high wind but with lots of wind you are going to run much cooler anyways. I use a very small Montbell umbrella that is silver coated. It is large enough when strapped to the shoulder strap of my pack that I can usually go shirtless or wear a super breezey tank top. I always carry a hat though in case conditions change.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

The biggest Tilley. It’s so comfortable, breathable. The interior rim doesn’t chafe or get sweaty. It’s been in the 90’s around here for the last 10 days or so and often over 2″  precipitable water vapor which is A LOT of water, Heat index between 105-110 and it’s still comfortable. They’re pricey but damn they’re good.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Montbell Wickron Cool Neck Gaiter

I like this because it’s not tight light a buff. It has a very short bendable wire over the bridge of your nose and a drawstring/toggle on the back. Paired with a Sun hoody and a baseball hat or a regular shirt and a Sunday Afternoon hat you get a lot of coverage.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Montbell says Wickron blocks 90% of sunlight but I don’t know how to compare that to SPF. Look for UV Cut on this page.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools