Topic

Attaching patches to 500d Cordura fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Attaching patches to 500d Cordura fabric

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BRYON L
    BPL Member

@pastor-bryon

I have a duffel bag/pack made of 500d Cordura fabric onto which I would like to attach patches from my travels. In the past on other packs, I have used “badge magic” from my scouting days, but it doesn’t hold as much as I would like, and it leaves a residue when it falls off.

I am planning to stitch the patches onto this new pack, but I’m still a newbie when it comes to sewing, and I’m particularly clueless on fabrics in this area. So my questions are:

1. First and foremost, am I okay sewing these on? I really am not interested in anything that involves ironing or leaves any kind of residue.
    2. I am assuming the needle holes will create an opening for water to come in, yes? Is there a way to mitigate this issue? I don’t anticipate this being used in much more than a passing shower, and I could throw a pack cover over it if needed with little difficulty.
    3. What kind of needle and thread is best? Or does it matter?
    4. What am I not asking that I should be?

TIA for your help/guidance!

BRYON L
    BPL Member

@pastor-bryon

In case anyone with a similar question stumbles onto this post. I emailed the manufacturer of the pack and below is their response:

Yes, it is ok to sew patches on pack. The needle hole would indeed let some water come in. However, as you would throw a pack cover when the rain is bigger, it should be fine just passing small shower. We don’t have suggestion for the sizing of needle and thread, but the smaller needle should create smaller needle holes.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools