Topic

Atom Packs Prospector Review (First Looks)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Atom Packs Prospector Review (First Looks)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Webb
    Spectator

@markwebbz-2

Locale: Wymondham

Companion forum thread to: Atom Packs Prospector Review (First Looks)

The Prospector is the flagship pack from Atom Packs, a British Company. Each pack is hand-built to order by owner Tom Gale, and the packs are made either as a standard configuration or fully customizable. This Atom Packs Prospector Review takes a first look at this rucksack.

David Hosmer
    BPL Member

@novohoz

What a great looking pack, I can’t wait for the fuller review!

Peter Kaldor
    BPL Member

@pk-2

Hi Mark. Thanks for the revue. You mention it compares favourably to the ULA Catalyst. Could you elaborate? Which would be better as a pack carrying 18kg of gear on an extended walk and why? How resistant would either be to damage in off track scrub?

Many thanks.

Peter

Mark Webb
    Spectator

@markwebbz-2

Locale: Wymondham

Hello Peter

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been touring Austria and Germany for the last month.

The Prospector is good up to about 15kgs and then the ULA Catalyst is the pack to choose as it has a better back frame and hip belt.  I have carried 18kgs in both packs and had pain in my shoulders with this weight in the Prospector but the Catalyst was fine.

The Prospector is not designed for heavy loads, it is designed for the ultralight market.

Thanks

Mark

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I’m scratching my head a little about how the pack fits you. The backpanel seems woefully short for your torso, such that the load lifter attachment points are even (level) with your shoulders and are doing no good at all. Plus the triglide that links the load lifter strap to the shoulder strap is well BELOW your shoulder. The result is that the pack is slouching back. I’m not too surprised that larger loads make your shoulders hurt. The ‘large’ size is 19-21″ according to the Atom website. I assume this is the iliac crest to c7 measurement mentioned on their sizing page. I don’t know your torso length or what size pack you have, but either the process of getting the right size for you seems to have broken down or Atom needs to have the concept of load lifters explained to them. I don’t mean to sound harsh, but this is so absolutely fundamental to a pack’s performance that reviewing an ill-fitting pack just seems weird to me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!