Topic

AT bug and shelter questions, Southern New England

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning AT bug and shelter questions, Southern New England

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bill B
    BPL Member

@burkenh

Starting a New England section hike next week, NOBO from Bear Mountain to Katahdin. I’m bringing my DuoMid for a shelter but debating between a bug bivy or solo innernet. A couple questions for those familiar with southern new england bugs etc…

I’m assuming my timing for bugs in CT & MA is bad and they should be out in full force. Black flies too, or just mossies? 24/7, or mainly late afternoon and evening?

One advantage of the bug bivy is that its great in a shelter too. What is the expected shelter situation starting mid June at the Hudson and finishing late July/early August? Always full, or generally space available for a solo hiker? I realize that weekends are always more crowded…

The innernet is more comfortable to retreat to when the bugs get bad, but not as suitable for shelter use and is about 4oz heavier than the bivy…

Once I get to VT and NH I’m on my home turf and are more familiar with what to expect.

Thoughts?

Kathryn L
    BPL Member

@klc

I have no answers for you but am interested to hear what others have to say.  I have a similar question as I’m hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness starting June 24.  I’m trying to decide if I should bring my duomid + bug bivy or my hammock+tarp+bug bivy.  I don’t really have a bug solution for the hammock and don’t feel like buying yet another piece of equipment.  I was hoping the bug bivy would work in there, but I tried it out and while it works, it wasn’t super comfy or convenient. It took a fair amount of wriggling around to get situated.  The hammock+tarp is nice because I am flexible and can hang or sleep on the ground as conditions dictate.  The duomid is nice because it’s so darn easy to pitch and roomy inside.  But will the room matter if it’s super buggy and I’m confined the bivy?

I’m mostly wondering how bad the bugs are at night, I guess.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Kathryn – Trying to use a bug bivy designed for ground use in a hammock sounds like a nightmare :)

I know you said you didn’t want to buy more gear, but at 5.5 oz and <$60 the Dutchwear bugnet looks pretty sweet.  I bet it could be pressed into service on the ground in a pinch.

Kathryn L
    BPL Member

@klc

The dutchwear bugnet is what I was looking at and resisting the urge to buy. But now I feel bad because I’ve highacked Bill’s thread and I just meant really to sit and listen.

How bad ARE the bugs and are they a problem all night?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools