Topic

AT 2018 Mid-march start

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists AT 2018 Mid-march start

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    let_scamp
    BPL Member

@lets_camp

https://lighterpack.com/r/5z2usv

Afternoon BPL, I’m looking for some input on my pack list for a mid-march-start thru attempt of the AT. The pack is an evolution of what I hiked the GR11 with last summer and I’m currently testing it in the British Autumn/Winter. So far my 30F quilt has been warm enough but I am hoping to get some colder nights to test it more thoroughly, slept out last night with it and it dropped down to ~33F, and I was comfy without my puffy on. Sadly it’s going to get mild again :(

I am wondering whether my gortex jacket might be over kill. I recently took a froggs toggs jacket to the lake district where it stood up admirably to high winds, single figure temps (celsius), and plenty of rain. I was impressed to say the least. However, I am spooked by this talk of freezing rain!

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Mid March you can easily expect to see overnight temperatures in the teens and 20’s with a good chance of snow/freezing rain. We experienced these conditions two years ago in the Smokies as late as mid May, and this year in late April in Virginia. That type of weather can go on for days at a time.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I would want a 20 degree quilt starting mid-March.  You’ll probably get a few cold nights in North Carolina.  Or you could get lucky and it will be enough.

Frogg Toggs are fine for the AT.  Freezing rain is not fun but the Frogg Toggs handle it fine.  Plus, if it gets too nasty, you can always duck into a shelter.

let_scamp
    BPL Member

@lets_camp

<span class=”profile-data”>@bj-clark-2-2</span> So would your main concern be my sleep set up?

<span class=”profile-data”>@alexdrewreed</span> I am kind of hoping that the MLD liner + a puffy would extend my bag enough to get through the worst nights. Is this fool hardy?

Other than the sleep system does the clothing and layering look ok?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Nothing stood out as being bad clothing-wise.  You might consider a rain kilt or pants, as it rains a fair amount.

As to the quilt, you MIGHT be fine.  I think you’ll likely be cold a few nights.  You might be REALLY cold a couple of nights.  IMO a liner doesn’t add much and a nano is not that much extra poof.  I would want a 20 degree quilt.

Are you going stoveless?

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I’d definitely recommend a ccf pad to supplement your Nemo Zor. Especially if you plan to push your 30d quilt to it’s limits. It can get wicked cold – and humid in the Smokeys/Blue Ridge Mts. in March.

Not to mention having a ccf pad around is soooo nice to simply pull out and use whenever you sit or lay down somewhere.

let_scamp
    BPL Member

@lets_camp

<span class=”profile-data”>@alexdrewreed</span> Yeah I have been camping without a stove for a while now as I don’t get much comfort from a meal and find the convenience a bigger pro. I have a cheap synthetic summer sleeping bag that I have been thinking of turning into a blanket so I might bring that along for the first part.

<span class=”profile-data”>@namelessway Yeah that could work out quite nicely. I have a z lite kicking about at the moment so could use that to supplement the nemo
    </span>

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools