Topic

Astoundingly Impressive First Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Astoundingly Impressive First Trip

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    WHG
    Spectator

@whitehatguy

Maybe too much? Can I edit that title? Can I edit this post? Oh well.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

no : )

so, what was your astoundingly impressive first trip?

WHG
    Spectator

@whitehatguy

Here are some pictures from my first overnight backpacking trip. It was a solo trip on virtually unknown Gritean Mountain. Being inexperienced, I figured I’d just follow the trail.

What’s that little spindrift? Are you trying to tell me something? Did Timmy fall in the well? Speak up! Okay, well nevermind, I don’t have time for this. I have to get going across this steep snow covered slope while the sun is on it.

What the? I was told there would be a trail!

When I got near the top, I realized two things.  One is that it’s freaking cold on top of a windy, snow-covered mountain. The other is that there is nowhere to hang my hammock. If only there had been some way to know in advance.

So I had to retreat down the mountain until I reached a place where I felt it was safe to spend the night. Still unable to find a place to hang my hammock, I made camp with little more than my trusty old cho-cho and tried to get some fitful sleep.

Made it through the night. Got up and shook off the chill with a cup of joe (reusable filters = LNT).

Adequately refreshed, I broke camp and headed, um, home.

I don’t want to call my first trip an impressive achievement, but I like to be truthful. I got to test out my gear and preparation, find both woefully lacking, but still succeeded beyond any reasonable expectations.  It’s given me the confidence to know that with just a few minor adjustments, along with the knowledge and inspiration from this site, I’ll soon be prepared for another backpacking trip very close to home.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Haha.  Epic fail.  Epic success.  Looks awesome. Sometimes it is trips like these that we learn the most.  I don’t like to camp on snow so I’d dayhike and warmup.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Looks like you had good weather. Hopefully you had glasses and sunscreen. Nice shots!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Nice that you have access to such beautiful mountains.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

too bad you couldn’t find a place to hang your hammock

looks like you still made a good day trip out of it

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Glorious. That was awesome. Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools