Topic

Assessing all of my UL gear needs in one thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Assessing all of my UL gear needs in one thread

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

Over the last few days, several extremely helpful BPLer’s have helped me to decide which shelters to settle on. (those two threads really should be deleted and all discussion moved over to here, so I can remain organized)

I’ve got it down to three or four shelters that should handle any of my needs regardless of season.

The following shelters are what I will have at my disposable for the next few years to come.

Summer:
    UL Tarp: Zpacks Duplex 2 with CF poles

Winter:
    Geodesic:
    1. Crux X2 Storm (will order when back in stock)
    2. Vaude Power Sphaerio 2p

Tunnel:
    1. Wilderness Equipment First Arrow
    (sorry all Hilleberg fans, I cancelled my Nammatj 2 order once I found the shelter above)

In terms of shelters I intend to look into some other tarps and different hammock setup options, but in an attempt to move beyond shelter discussions for the time being, I have decided to create one thread that shall encompass any and all further discussion of any potential gear choices/requirements.

The next area I’d like to address is Winter Camping Attire. My needs are as follows:

1. Male and Female options, though we will stick to Male attire options for the time being

2. Versatility: suitable from Asheville NC(and surrounding towns), to Washington State (ability to add and subtract articles without having a million different pieces for different uses/locales, i.e. some dual usage options are required)

3. I have a condition known as hyperhydrosis or Excess sweating (sexy huh?) that effect my hands and feet. Typically in cooler/winter environments this isn’t an issue, as I tend to dress a little bit less warm than most people to mitigate the excess sweating. When I dress all the way as warm as some people suggest in certain temps it can make me sweat easily so I tend to prefer being a littler cooler than some would prefer, rather than having wet clothes in the winter. (the sweating is not as bad as you might think, but I do technically need to account for this issue, by being just a taaad cooler than a lot of other BPLer’s might typically aim for, even though over all in the winter, I do not sweat nearly as much)

4. Shoes/Non-Climbing Crampons/Snow Shoes, I am willing to pay for these items, I need the best, as it is of paramount importance I don’t get this wrong. Boots need to be light weight, durable and comfortable and effective in winter treks. Same for the Ice-Walking Cramps and Snow Shoes.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Why not buy a cuben pyramid that you can use in winter? Then you have one shelter for all seasons.

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

The shelter thing is already kind of settled for me, sorry. But to answer you, A cuben mid is not as suited for strong winds, snow loading, breathe-ability of the material, cooking with certain kinds of stoves, etc. The “one shelter for everything” doesn’t really exist. I’ve gone ahead and ordered all of those tents so I am SET on shelters, lol … I have a geo, a tunnel, and a UL cuben, So I’m trying to move onto discussions of other kit that I haven’t ordered yet.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Trauma and pepper used a cuben mid on their winter PCT thru.  Links:

https://www.outsideonline.com/1930861/first-ever-winter-thru-hike-pct

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2z8vos/hi_im_justin_trauma_lichter_i_am_a_professional/

They’re trained to safely move in snow but camping shouldn’t be too much of a stretch. Think the cuben/DCF required more shaking off of snow than slightly heavier silnylon.  Also mids have some unused room closer to the bottom seam but that’s negated by UL fabrics.  Ed: add last sentences

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Hey Mark,

While I’d love to help you as best I can, your requests seem pretty broad. I’ve discovered that best way I can extract advice from BPL’ers is when my questions are specific – like your tent search. (I.E. need help with base layers, the best down vest for a trip I’m going on, outerwear, etc…) In other words: “bite sized pieces” works best.

Looking specifically at single item types has also helped me discover that my questions may have already been answered as well. (I’ll search on Google with “backpackinglight: ” in front of all my questions.

And while I know you are interested in “winter camping attire”, it’s hard to hone in on what that means. Snow in the Smokeys/Blue Ridge can be both dry and very wet / humid, so I know that where I would go & what weather I’d be facing would totally affect what I bring, and more importantly: what I’d leave home.

I haven’t specifically looked, but I believe BPL probably has some relivant  articles in their  Skills & Techniques section on UL layering for cold weather. I’d also suggest reaching directly out to Andrew Sukura. 

I understand Andrew is a professional guide, and arguably has more winter know-how than many of us combined.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

I’m not using a cuben mid for a winter shelter, man, for a variety of reasons, sorry. I too know a guy who took a cuben mid through the pct, got soaked one night when it hailed it’s ass off. good thing he wasn’t at a higher elevation.

Not only that. Part of my intended use for my winter shelters, would be to someday use them for long wilderness camping trips, don’t know when I will feel confident enough to do that, as I have much much less serious endeavors planned for the indefinite time being, but in a few years, maybe…

so with that being said, it doesn’t seem so wise to me to go off the trail, in the winter, in mountainous regions, for long durations, in a cuber fiber pyramid ….Do you really wanna get caught in a snow storm, miles away from people, hoping and praying your 1 pole, single walled tent is going to protect you?

I mean I have toyed round with idea of ordering the Ultamid anyways just cause I like it so much :P but I’d likely only ever use it for 3 season trips, or short 4th season trips where if the weather turns I can just leave…it’s not as suitable for 4th season wilderness camping imo

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

Hi, Max. Thanks for the reply. I totally understand what you mean. Which is why I have been doing a lot of research on my own as well. For instance I think my choice of boot is going to be The North Face Chilkat 400.

So I’m finding a lot of information on my own as well as hoping to get some help from BPLer’s

I plan to follow up soon with a little more information so as to have a better exchange with the ever helpful BPLer’s once we have something specific to chew on, the guidelines in the OP are kind of broad yes, but hopefully we can all hone in on this task a little easier once I actually post up here my intended gear list and it’s intended use for debate/tweaking.

Thanks, be back soon!

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

You’re welcome, Mark.

One little piece of advice I might offer: In my profession (residential design/build), most of my time spent with my clients is not on design presentations, it’s actually on helping them make selections from the thousands of windows, siding, cabinets, stone, fixtures, appliances, tile, … that there are to choose from.  I have found that instead of trying to encourage them find “the one” they like the most, I’d recommend that they try to simply pick out three that they like. Believe it or not, clients have an faster time finding three of everything than just one, and once the three are in sitting front of them, “the one” will rise to the top.

I believe this mindset can apply to gear selection as well (ESPECIALLY for boots & packs). If I were you, once I’ve settled on the specs. I want, I’d get three pairs of boots and three packs from three different companies and really try the gear out on a day trip or two. If the gear comes from reputable dealers, I should easily be able to return the things that don’t make the cut (or I might even unload it here on BPL’s gear swap!)

Bottom line: only my feet and back can ultimately tell me if I’ve made the right footwear or pack choice, regardless of the great reviews out there..

Best of luck!

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

I’m a graphic designer and I use that same trick! haha

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Watch Andrew Skurkas NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC LIVE VIDEO  presentation on his Alaska-Yukon Expedition, and like Matt said he would be good to get ahold of and help you through your worries, he is very nice and knowledgeable, his whole website has lots of valuable info.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

+1 on Skurka being responsive and helpful. I emailed him about a year ago with a question about hiking in CO and he answered the email promptly and was very helpful and generous with his advice.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I shall share my experience with silnylon and cuben mids for winter snow camping in another thread. Cheers. Bruce

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

Link to that thread, bruce?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools