Topic

Art Loeb Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    K2 Travels
    BPL Member

@k2-travels

Doing this trail as a 3 day trip. Trying to decide which direction to travel.

Popular opinion seems to be North to South.  After looking at a map South to North looks a lot easier by bypassing such a tough start that N-S faces you with (3 very steep climbs coupled with huge elevation gain quickly).

Anyone have done this? Maybe both ways?  Any information is appreciated .

K2

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have done it North-South.

K2 Travels
    BPL Member

@k2-travels

After more looking and reading I believe I will go North to South.  If I camp at mile 8.6(just before Ivester Gap trail junction) I will be out of Shining Rock Wilderness Area and not need a bear canister correct?

K2

J David Sullivan
    BPL Member

@sipseyfreak

Locale: Deep South
    • I have done N to S … seemed easier to me. Most bear contacts reported in SR Wilderness area, but I saw scat not far from south terminus. Talked to a foursome that had bear contact near Investor Gap. I carried canister entire trail. It’s a fun trail, but not a stroll.
    J David Sullivan
    BPL Member

@sipseyfreak

Locale: Deep South

Addendum … use GAIA or something to help you stay on the real ALT. There are dozens of intersecting trails that can confuse you and cause you to waste time. See a father-daughter video report on how to negotiate the zig at SR Wilderness. There must be five trails that intersect there. However, if you’re into wandering in wilderness, it’s beautiful country in which to be lost.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools