Topic

Arrigetch Peaks and Noatak Float, July & August 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Arrigetch Peaks and Noatak Float, July & August 2019

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matthew M
    BPL Member

@mmcintosh94

Companion forum thread to: Arrigetch Peaks and Noatak Float, July & August 2019

This trip took place on the unceded lands of the Inupiat and Gwich’in people…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m glad you persevered and got this posted. Thank you for sharing your trip so generously with us.

Matthew M
    BPL Member

@mmcintosh94

Arriving on the Alatna, via Coyote Air

Unloading the Coyote Air DeHavilland Beaver on the Alatna River

The Arrigetch Peaks, Xanadu’s Grayling Wall, reflected in a pond.

About a third of the way up Ariel Peak/the pass out of the Arrigetch, looking back into the Arrigetch Valley.

Early morning traverse of a ridgeline between the Awlinyak and the Kaluluktok drainages, near the Continental Divide. This pass was a classic case of “man, are we sure this goes?” And then it went so, so smooth!

Five of the six of us, finally arriving in the Noatak River basin. From here, it’s all downhill to Kotzebue.

Arriving at the food/gear/boat drop near the Noatak headwaters. Crysten’s birthday is tomorrow — there’s beer to chill in the river!

A typical Noatak campsite.

Permafrost near Noatak Village. Hard not to fill the gravity of climate change, watching it drip away. The fishing got hot right here.

Yum. At the time, my biggest fish ever.

Near the crossing to Kotzebue. We were blessed with calm water.

A 1 a.m. sunset above Kotzebue, looking toward Cape Krusenstern National Monument.

Matthew M
    BPL Member

@mmcintosh94

Hey Matthew K — thanks for all your help getting this posted!

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Hey Matthew,

Sounds Amazing.  A buddy and I flew to your starting spot on the Noatak in 2020.  We spent about 21 days in the Brooks Range backpacking and day hiking close to 200 miles while floating the Noatak about 60 miles to the Cutler River.  I can attest to you all of your points.  Amazing place that I want to go back and explore again and again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools