Topic

ArcTeryx Atom LT ???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ArcTeryx Atom LT ???

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matt Bowler
    BPL Member

@bulldawg_006hotmail-com

Hi,

Does anyone have a ArcTeryx Atom LT?   If so can you comment on what you use it for?  I have one for around town and it is nice for that, but I am wondering how it might do as an active hiking layer for winter backpacking.  I have always used a base and / or mid layer along with a wind shirt.  However, it seems that some people are using insulated breathable layers like this while moving in the cold temps.

It seems to me that this might be a bit too warm for actually hiking with, but I am curious to hear your thoughts / experiences.  If you do use one for hiking can you tell me what temperature range you find it comfortable for?

thanks

Matt

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have the hooded jacket. I use it as part of my sleep system with my 40 degree rated quilt during shoulder seasons.

While I took it on my Scottish Highlands walk to wear during breaks when I was sitting (making tea), I did use it sometimes while hiking during days that were perhaps 40 to 45 degrees F with a lot of wind.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I used an  Atom LT around town for a number of years. I used it some for springtime skiing. I can imagine hiking in it would have worked when it was below freezing, but never ended up taking it.  For me, Cap4 Hoody + windshirt + down puffy for stops has been age perfect combo for me.

Victor Hoyt
    BPL Member

@vhoyt

Locale: Hudson Highlands

Matt,

I would say you’re right for temps down into the mid twenties. I have an Atom LT and I keep it in my pack, for stops. I’m mostly an avid day hiker, so I haven’t used it for backpacking yet. For active use in cold dry weather, I prefer a good thermal weight base layer and a vest like a Patagonia Nano. I usually hike in shorts and tights because I hate things rubbing on my legs. I find that, though I often start out cold, I warm up quickly. The Atom comes out when I stop for a snack and I start to cool off. When it’s cold and wet, I have Pertex top and bottom shells, as well as calf high gaiters.

In the bitter cold, the Atom could become an active layer, with something heavier in the pack, for stops.

Vic

Evan G
    BPL Member

@jidaran

The Atom LT excels at athletic activity in the cold since it breathes so well but is still rather windproof.

For high energy activities (x-country skiing, ascending) I usually throw the LT over my base layer if the temps drop below 20.  For lower energy activities (working around camp, descending) it’s comfortable over the base layer from above 20 to around 40.

As mentioned above, it’s also great to throw on at breaks, though it can get a little cold if you stop for long.  There’s not a ton of insulation in the jacket.

It’s also awesome for biking – I use it for commuting in DC from Dec – Feb.  On top of a button down, it’s good between about 20 and 35.  Completely cuts the wind and can handle a bit of rain too.

Justin Barrett
    Spectator

@zanzibar_land

My experience is from using it in Arkansas. In Ozarks it can get close to 0°F, but usually in the teens and twenties at it’s coldest.

I think the Atom LT is an ok jacket on its own. It’s about as good as a thicker fleece jacket, but lighter and wind resistant. I believe it really shines when combined with a layer system. The reason being is that it’s not all that breathable and it’s sizing is more akin to a puffy than a more form-fitting midlayer. It’s equally warm as a MH Ghost Whisper, but the synthetic fill and higher denure fabric can take much more from the weather and environment at the expense of weight.

For example, I wear in the winter a Patagonia Capeline Lightweight as a base. On top, Mountain Equipment Eclipse Full Zip (grid fleece, R1 clone). I never take these off and can be warm when moving. The Atom goes on top when it’s colder or not moving. If it’s really brrr outside, rain jacket on top. If you used it as a stand-alone jacket, then I think you’d be overheating when being active and you’d be spending time taking off the jacket.

Matt Bowler
    BPL Member

@bulldawg_006hotmail-com

Thanks for the feedback.  It is a really nice jacket and I like it, but to some extent I struggle to find a true niche for it.  I like it for casual wear, but the breathable panels somewhat diminish its usefulness for this function.

Agree that it would be great to wear when stopping or as part of my sleep systems, but at 12 ounces it’s a bit heavy and I could do better using an insulated vest for this purpose I think at half the weight.

As strictly an insulating layer for camp at night during warmer months it would be good but my FF EoS is better for that at the same weight.

For moving I think it would probably be good for weather in the teens to low 20s, especially with the wind, But I am not sure if I would need it in addition to my current system which is an Arc Teryx Phase AR (about same weight as Cap2) along with a Cap 4 thermal top or 200 weight merino and a windjacket over the top.  Although I have not had the opportunity to test this current system into the teens I imagine this would be pretty warm unless quite windy.

But I do like the jacket–maybe just trying to figure out where and how I could use it.  I definitely would take it with me as a light layer for around camp when canoeing or kayak camping because weight is not as critical there.  But when ounces count I am not sure.

Matt

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I have two of them (thanks, REI garage sales) and think it is about the most versatile jacket I own for all-season use in the Rockies.  In winter, I use it as an outer layer for lift-served skiing if it’s not too windy and temps are in the 20’s or so.  It’s easy to toss a shell over the top to block the wind and extend the range a bit.  Lately, I’ve been wearing it while skinning up the local ski hill; it’s so breathable that I don’t get too sweaty, tho in a backcountry situation I would take it off while going up.

Come summertime, it often comes along as my warm layer for backpack and camping trips.  It’s compressible and light enough, tho certainly a light down puffy has it beat.  Great little jacket.

Evan G
    BPL Member

@jidaran

I noticed that someone else said it doesn’t breath well.  That is in fact the truth.  What I should have said is that it’s breathes extremely well considering how weather resistant it is.

It’s of a jack of all trades, master of none sort of jacket.  I rarely bring it on cold weather (25-45) camping trips as it isn’t weather proof enough to act as a proper outer layer, nor has a good enough warmth to weight ratio to be a great mid layer.  It’s also not warm enough to function well as a “break” sort of jacket (IMHO).

It does really shine when engaging in strenuous athletic activity in truly cold (<20) degree conditions when it’s snowing or windy.  It’ll protect you from the elements and keep your base layer dry without causing you to sweat a ton.  The shell material is rather tough (at least, a lot tougher than most puffies) so you don’t have to worry so much about ripping a hole.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools