Topic

Arches NP backcountry campsites

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Arches NP backcountry campsites

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

I’m considering a backcountry overnight prior to staying two nights at the Devils Garden campground at Arches next month. We’ll be two families, seven total people, three kids ages 8-11. They are all capable hikers and scramblers.

I’m aware of the infinite number of great places to hike and camp on the Plateau. But with the campground reservation in hand, I’m attracted to the idea of not adding additional driving and just staying within the park.

Arches now designates four sites for backcountry camping: one off the Devils Garden primitive trail, two in upper Courthouse wash, and one in lower Courthouse wash. Anyone have experience with these areas, if not the specific sites themselves? All three look good to me. Having only driven through the park many years ago, it’s all new to me and the other members of our group.

The Devils Garden backcountry site is appealing since the trailhead is right off the campground and would require zero additional car time. It does look a little more challenging, hiking wise. (I’m thinking of the kids here.) Have any of your hiked that loop, or stayed at that site?

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

PM sent.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Update to my post, and an FYI for anyone looking to do this – Arches requires a permit reserved in person in Moab within a week of your trip. That isn’t possible for us, so the backcountry office pointed us to some overnight ideas suitable for our group size and ability over in Canyonlands instead. Very helpful people down in that office.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools