Topic

Arc Blast or Arc Haul for variable loads & rough off-trail?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Arc Blast or Arc Haul for variable loads & rough off-trail?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca 510
    BPL Member

@wanderingrebecca

Locale: East bay, SF bay area

I’ve completely shredded my first pack, a Gossamer Gear G4, with several years of multiple off-trail sierra trips a year–bushwhacking, scraping against granite, etc.

I loved that my G4 weighed under a pound but was high-volume and easy to pack.  I’m pretty lazy about fussing with my gear, and being able to just chuck everything in there was great.

I didn’t love how the G4 felt when I did longer trips and carried a Bearikade Expedition jammed to capacity with dense food. I’d like my next pack to have enough structure to be comfortable with heavier loads (probably a max of 40 pounds, frequently start my longer trips with 36-37).

I tried on a friend’s Arc Blast this weekend and found it very comfortable. Thinking of getting that one, or the Arc Haul for greater ease of chucking everything inside. I almost always carry that Bearikade Expedition, though not always heavily loaded (sometimes I share space in it with a companion or two).

I see that the Blast is made with DCF, and the Haul is made with Gridstop. Not at all clear on the pros and cons of each, and whether one or the other would be better for my usual abuse. I got six years’ hard wearing out of my last pack and would love to repeat that with the next one.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have owned the Arc Haul for 4 years and love it.  As you mention, it is very comfortable.  However I strongly caution assuming it will remain so above 30 lbs. Also, while my pack still looks brand new, I take very good care of it. I cannot recommend it for someone who takes “multiple off-trail sierra trips…bushwacking, scraping against granite, etc.”.  I fear in those situations neither the blast nor the haul would last much longer than the G4…the Haul’s fabric *might* last longer, but I would worry about the frame as well.

Given the severity of the duty it will perform, have you considered something like the Granite Gear Crown2 60 (2 lb) or perhaps even the Blaze 60 (close to 3 lb)?  They both weigh more than you were likely hoping, but they are my choice for durability and load carrying and are extremely comfortable even when loaded to capacity.

Best of luck on your search.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

For off trail use, I seriously recommend the 210d Dyneema Grid of the Arc Haul over the 50d Hybrid DCF of the ARC Blast.  The only advantage to the DCF is that is is marginally lighter and waterproof.

Rebecca 510
    BPL Member

@wanderingrebecca

Thanks for the replies!

DCF – To clarify, I’m not looking for durability “much longer than” my old G4. I thought getting six years’ rough use out of a one-pound pack was great!  I’m hoping for similar durability, don’t really feel a need to step up to something that’s built like a tank…  I’m fine with occasionally having to field-repair a spot if something *happens* to  it, but don’t want something that’s going to (a) quickly start wearing out all over (like some of the pure cuben stuff I’ve seen) or (b) sprout a batch of holes on *every* bushwhack.

My friend said he has loaded the heck out of his Arc Blast and been happy with it, but it sounds like that’s not a universal experience. I’ll ask him if I can try it with more weight before I commit.  Really hoping to get some more weight capacity without doubling the weight of my pack, but if I’m just dreaming, so be it.

Brad – appreciate the comparison on materials.  Waterproof is a terrific bonus, but I think I do need durability more.  Especially since waterproofing is easily compromised with rough use anyhow…

Ox
    Spectator

@ox-2

Check the section dedicated to swapping gear, I posted a thread for swapping my backpack (HMG Windrider 4400, second page) and a member offered me to swap it with his Haul. I finally found someone willing to take mine but he still has his Haul.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Based on your requirements, I would go with the Haul, as it is rated for 40 lbs and the gridstop is more durable. I do believe that Joe continues to improve his products and I think that Haul is the latest iteration. I have been able to boost the just-tolerable load bearing capacity of my older Blasts to 33 lbs, at the expense of adding a few ounces for more cushion in the belt and shoulders, so I suspect his recommendations are accurate. I have tired of trimming all the shredding DCF inside my Blasts, particularly where the Expedition rubs at the top, but have to wait a few more years to justify throwing them out. When I do, next up will be the Haul.

Nathan L
    BPL Member

@nathansl2003

Locale: Central Vermont

I would go with the Arc Haul too, I have it and love it.  As  mentioned by @pastyj-2-2 it might be rated to 40 lbs. but I would not go above 28 lbs.  I did that once and regretted it.  If you purchased the added shoulder padding you could probably go over 28 – 30 lbs.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’d list the max carrying capacity of the Blast and Haul to 30lbs, but I tend to find packs uncomfortable at lower weights then some people.

An alternative might be the Superior Wilderness Designs (SWD) packs.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I should also add that I found the (optional) lumbar pad to be a requirement for the Arc Haul.  In fact, it is such a significant improvement I would recommend just ordering and installing it from the start.

I’ve never found the shoulder straps wanting, but could see how someone might.  I strive to assure the pack’s CG is centered over my spine and the only thing the shoulder straps do is apply a light pressure on the front (not top) of the shoulders, basically just keeping the pack from falling backwards.

Rebecca 510
    BPL Member

@wanderingrebecca

Thank you for all the tips!

Silly thing, as soon as you folks unanimously convinced me that the Haul was the better choice if I went  for one of these, I spotted a Blast on Ebay at a price I couldn’t refuse. (One spot to mend, so next research project is how to sew DCF.)  I may want to sell this one and get a Haul at some point if I decide that a Zpack really is what I want to be using and abusing for the next few years.

Is it fair to assume the fit is similar enough that I’ll be comfortable carrying about the same weight in one vs. the other?

David Caudwell
    BPL Member

@dcinbc

Locale: Gulf Islands, Coastal BC

The fit is identical – the only difference is the bag material – the straps, belt and frame are 100% the same.

I would go against the tide here say you’ve actually got the better bag! It’s tough enough, more water-resistant than the Haul and lighter, which is appropriate for the loads it should really be carrying. Just be aware that the consensus is that the published max load rating is over-optimistic. I would agree with other posters that even 30lb is pushing the comfort limit. 25lb and under and it’s great. ZPacks haven’t done themselves any favours (except financially!) by no longer emphasizing that this is truly a UL pack (they used to state base weight 10lb or under and max load of 30lb). I see lots of folks busting their Arc bags by constantly pushing 35-40lb. Also be aware that it is quite the journey to discover how best to adjust it! Where do you want the trampoline back-panel, how much arc feels right etc etc. Take time fiddling with all the many adjustments and you should eventually discover a great fit!

Lee
    BPL Member

@wrr

I’ve only taken my Arc Blast on two trips, but have found 25 lbs to be the comfortable max load.

Rebecca 510
    BPL Member

@wanderingrebecca

Thanks for the heads-up, David, both about the fiddly adjustments and that I could actually damage the bag by overloading.  Maybe I’ll have to give in and get a second pack for big trips… though I wouldn’t be “constantly” carrying the big loads, probably just a couple times a year for a few days at a time, and once in a while for a few miles if I load up on water for a dry camp.

As far as comfort goes, I suspect I’m on the un-fussy side; I can’t recall the published limit for the G4, but pretty sure I exceeded it quite a bit before reaching what I found to be bothersome.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

One spot to mend, so next research project is how to sew DCF.

You don’t need to sew to mend a hole in DCF unless it’s load-bearing, just get some DCF tape and you’re done!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools