Topic

Applying 3M 96042 Double Coated Silicone (siloxane?) tape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Applying 3M 96042 Double Coated Silicone (siloxane?) tape

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Pierre Descoteaux
    BPL Member

@pierre

I am in the final stages of my latest tent project. A 4 season, 4 man, 4 poles, Caffin style tunnel (Big props for all his help and insights!!). I only need to add a mesh door and to seal seam it. I will use some “flow able Permatex silicone” and some 3M tape. What is the best taping technique for this type of application? The only other tape I used was pressure sensitive for Cuben laminate… I do not want to create a big mess!

Thanks

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Pierre

Good to hear that the tent progresses. Photos? Please!

I used siloxane transfer tape rather than a carrier-based tape, as the transfer tape design is more flexible. I put the transfer tape onto some silnylon fabric, cut the taped bit off and used it as a conventional tape.

Cheers

Pierre Descoteaux
    BPL Member

@pierre

Tape: Well that’s a bummer. I made sure to use the 3M numbers you provided in another post and did not realize the important transfert tape versus everything else part… I got confused by all the different name used… I’ll test some of my stuff once it arrives and see. I plan on using it for the 4 section of the ridge line (slight cat cuts), where the rear  panels connect and at the front zippers. I’m assuming applying tape to the other parts would be more challenging than the simple brushing of the Permatex sealant.

Photos: I have a few but they’re the wrong size and cannot be uploaded to this site…What is the simplest way to change the size?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

CAUTION!
    I am not sure whether I said 3M9485 or 3M9845 transfer tape. It is 3M9485. However, this will not bond to silnylon. The only thing which bonds to silnylon is a siloxane adhesive, and that takes 72 hours to cure. When cured it is however a permanent bond.

Picture resizing – there are an infinity of free photo editors on the web. I think they all can resize. Even Windows Paint might be able to.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools