Topic

Apple Watch Ultra Comparison to Other Watches

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Apple Watch Ultra Comparison to Other Watches

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

Well my watch arrived today. Going to take it out this weekend with my Fenix 7X solar sapphire on my other wrist and see how it goes. So far, it’s already going to be my daily driver. The band is incredibly comfortable, and I can actually notice the weight difference. Glancing down, I like the data on the default face better too. We’ll see how it goes and I’ll update. Any other comparisons appreciated.

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

I recently had a Garmin Epix 2 before the Apple Watch Ultra. I sold it to get the Ultra. I had the Apple Watch since it launched but really wanted the bigger screen and longer battery life of the Garmin. Going to Garmin, I missed little features of the Apple Watch and so when I knew a bigger version was coming out I switched.

I think this is the version of the Apple Watch I always wanted. The new compass features are great. So easy to backtrack and mark a waypoint. The battery life is really nice too. I wear it 24 hours a day except when showering. When showering I charge it and that’s all the charging it needs so far. I personally love it and much prefer it to the Garmin Epix 2 I had.

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

Having the flat screen and bigger face was a big deal for me. So far I’m really enjoying it. I haven’t had a chance to use the waypoints, but aim excited to.

Indrit S
    BPL Member

@grivola79

Which maps (if any) you folks use on Ultra?

I took the ultra too since my (apple) watch died this summer while swimming and what I really needed was an (apple is enough for my use-cases / needs; sorry to the Garmin folks but there is simply no comparison between the two companies and I don’t have specific use cases / needs that could require Garmin etc.; I have been using Garmin products from much more years than I have used apple) watch that could be reliable and used to some degree of harsheness without thinking about it. I do multiple activities, I’m not definitively the sort of  “endurance” athlete shown on apple’s advertisement, moreover in the last couple of years I’m struggling with plantar fasciitis which have helped debilitating my overall shape. So far, I’m really happy about the ultra. I hope that iPhone satellite connectivity will be rollout in Europe as well and maybe functionality enhanced and I’ll be very happy to ditch the inReach mini 2 too .

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

I tried Topo Maps+, but I really didn’t like it. Going to try some other apps and email Gaia to see if they have any plans for a stand-alone watch app.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I’ve played around with an Apple watch and really like the WorkOutDoors app. You can load shaded topo maps (Thunderforest) to the watch easily via the partner iPhone app. Gai@ for Apple watch is not very impressive.

The WorkOutDoors app is meant as a training tool for a lot of different activities, and offers a dizzying number of customization options. This is a good intro:

YouTube video

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

Thanks for much for that! I’m downloading it now.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

@Humorless – Thanks for posting…I enjoyed the video and had to chuckle at the very end where he thanked his “daring” wife for holding down the fort when I’m sure he meant “darling.”

Perhaps next year’s Apple Watch Ultra will have satellite connectivity…

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

Great video. Really nailed it with the pickup truck analogy.

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

@humorless, what full screen map app did you switch over to while hiking early in the video?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

That wasn’t me, I just posted a link to the story.

Indrit S
    BPL Member

@grivola79

It is a custom app that he is developing

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I have not tried the new Apple Watch , I had the previous version. I do have the Garmin Epix 2. I love the Epix 2 battery life , in fact love the watch in general .. not sure I can give that up. Yes I can’t text from the watch or talk to it  .. but I don’t care.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools