Topic

Apex quilt dimensions help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Apex quilt dimensions help

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

This coming winter I thought I would layer a 40 degree apex quilt over my WM Ultralite for some trips with expected temps down to 0 degrees.

I think I would like to try and make the quilt instead of buying it. I previously made two quilts for my kids that turned out functional. I could use some help with the quilt dimensions.

For determining the width of the quilt is the best way to make sure it’s wide enough so that it doesn’t compress my down bag to have someone measure the girth of the down bag with me inside it?

How much extra length should I plan on if using a zippered footbox? With the plan to use this for winter, do you think a full-length zip would make more sense than using snaps halfway up?

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Hi Jeff,

I’m 5’10” and wear a L size top. My 20F EE Enigma quilt is Reg length and Wide. My 40F EE was purchased Long and Xwide with the idea to layer it over the warmer bags. It has worked well both over the Enigma quilt and a Montbell 15F sleeping bag. Looking at the EE site, it seems that increasing length and width by a size yields about 6″ extra inches in length or shoulder width…

Best luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools