Topic

anything warmer than the Montbell Alpine Parka (not light) for 16 oz?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) anything warmer than the Montbell Alpine Parka (not light) for 16 oz?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I have an Alpine Light and love it- it’s seen a decade plus of winter use, but want something a little warmer for those “special trips” :)

I see Montbell’s Alpine Parka boasts a little over 7 ounces of 800 fill (for a 16 oz total weight)- anything in that range from other manufacturers?

I’d go slightly over (or under) the 16 oz mark if there is a contender that is close.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I think Nunatak Kobuk UL kinda blows that away. In size large, 10.6 oz of 900 fill, total weight is 17.5 oz. And you can deduct a touch over 2 oz from that if you forgo zippered pockets.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ ooooh- good call!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ Crikey on the price!  I guess it’s a buy once, cry once deal  :D

Sharon M
    BPL Member

@arkheel1

Locale: Central North Carolina

Ben at Goosefeet Gear can make something both warm and light for you.  He’s great to work with and his prices are very reasonable, for the quality, warmth and weight of his jackets.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ thanks, never would have thought of that- I’ll shoot him an email- he made some nice down pants for me about 10 years- still going strong :)

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

If price isn’t an issue the PHD K series 1000 fill power down jackets and parkas are unsurpassed in warmth to weight ratio. They have 10d inner shells and Ultrashell outers. Only 508 pounds (about $650) for the 12 oz Yukon Pullover rated at 5* F.

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/yukon-down-pullover-k-series

The 17 oz Delta Belay is probably considerably warmer than the MB Alpine. -4*F rating.

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/delta-belay-down-jacket

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

am I missing it on their site, can’t find the fill weight?

regardless, probably more than I want spend on a parka- not sure if it’s a just a bad exchange rate currently????

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I can’t find the fill weights either. As of today the pound is worth $1.30. It’s a little worse exchange than it was months ago, but hasn’t been lower than $1.15 for quite awhile. Yes, PHD is for people who have deep pockets and don’t care about price.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Currently the US / New Zealand exchange rate is in your favour
    You could try Macpac stuff
    Not quite as well made as some but often this is reflected in the selling price.
    It is close to the weight you want, I am informed that it is a very “boxy” cut but that is because it is a belay cut and meat to go over your shell or action suit. Locked down hard here so I’ve not been able to try one on but with Macpac being on the small side most people go one size larger
    About $230-USD plus postage

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Check Montbell’s down line up below.
    Montbell Down Line-up

Ordering from the Japanese site will often be cheaper, though you have to size up if it doesn’t say US size. The Mirage is missing because it’s not officially in the Japan line up. But you might find it under overseas models there too.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

looks like they ship to anywhere in the world, except the US :)

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Sorry I didn’t know that was still in effect. Montbell uses Japan Post, but due to Covid-19 Japan Post doesn’t ship to the USA. Who knows when that will be lifted. Hope at least the graphic is helpful.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Ahh- I thought maybe it was because there is a Montbell US- didn’t want to infringe on their turf

Anywho, I found a very good deal on a now discontinued Outdoor Research Incandescent parka- 17 oz, 7.2 oz of 800 fill, Pertex Quantum fabric and a 31″ length :)

Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

Mike M,

Can you share a link to the deal on the OR Incandescent?

Thanks.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I don’t know where Mike got his but about a month ago OR had them on sale online for 50% off

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Ana- mine was free, well kinda :)  I thought I had lost this parka and my wife came up with it cleaning- evidently fell off a hanger and got kicked back into no man’s land

I think OR discontinued this jacket a year or two ago???

Here’s a brand new one on Ebay at 35% off (if you happen to be large)

ORIncandescent

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Besides goosefeet, Nunatak, a cheaper but more challenging option is to find someone who years ago purchased the NB Fugu but left it in the closet because it was just too darn warm… and then convince them they should not horde gear for their fears (hopes).

A number of us picked up this amazing jacket for betweeb $100-150 on closeout. 16oz, Richard Niseley found it tested warmer than the MB Permafrost, and my real world experience found is warmer than the WM Flight and MB Alpine Light.  Alas, I can’t help you because I sold mine a number of years ago when I concluded that it was overkill for any location I was likely to be in the foreseeable future (I tend to run quite warm, and typically don’t sit around camp away from my bag or quilt).

–mark

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that Fugu sure looked puffy!

funny they didn’t put a hood on it?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools