Topic

Anyone wear "half tight" shorts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone wear "half tight" shorts?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I’m wondering if anyone here wears half tights, like above the knee shorts made out of tights material for hiking and how they would compare to regular loose fitting woven shorts.

I’m thinking they would be better for wet weather. My experience with woven shorts is when they get wet they get stick to your skin and get very thermally conductive when wet, my experience with mesh basketball shorts is that they are much more comfortable when wet and I assume short tights would be similar. They probably wouldn’t dry as fast as woven poly or nylon shorts with the thicker material and spandex, but in real wet weather perhaps they would allow evaporation through their knit fabric and keep a drier microclimate on the inside of my underwear?

But how do they do in hotter weather? I would like to give some a try.

Alpo Kuusisto
    BPL Member

@akuusist

Spandex shorts are one of the best hiking garments ever especially in wet conditions and reasons they aren’t used more are more cultural than practical.

terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

I believe Ray Jardine generally wore shorts similar to what you are describing. There are lots on the market made for running. Different materials will affect how breathable, insulating and quick drying. I was looking for some merino wool/spandex compression shorts which used to be sold in running stores to wear under an extremely thin pair of running shorts with the liner cut out. For most conditions that seemed a very appealing way to hike to me. I have yet to try it though.

Steven Maxfield
    BPL Member

@fredmax56

Locale: New England

I use something similar they are swimwear called Jammers. They are like cycling shorts without the padding. I find them to be very comfortable even in very hot weather. I have never had an issue with chaffing. I have been wanting to try a pair of wool cycling shorts made by Kucharik. They are a 6 panel design without padding. I think they would be very similar to the Jammers but maybe too hot and would not dry quick enough.  Fred

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I started wearing spandex shorts under a skirt two years ago, and haven’t looked at nylon hiking pants ever again.  Truthfully, the skirt is probably unnecessary, but it gives me pockets to carry my map and cell phone, so I’ve persisted, even in hot weather.  I get mine from Running Funky.  Especially under rain shells, this is the best, and I think they dry faster.

Ricky Ng
    Spectator

@dummey

As a cyclist and triathlete, I get to prance about in spandex a lot =D And I agree with others about how it’s more of a cultural thing.

Spandex shorts are such a great option under most conditions. When it is hot, they breathe well. When wet, they prevent chaffing. When cold, shell pants fit well over them.

There are 2-in-1 shorts made by running clothing guys that have the spandex inner in the form of boxer briefs with the standard loose shorts. You get pockets, cultural decency, light weight.

Jammers, running tights, tri shorts without padding are great if you don’t want the other shorts attached or at all.

And if you don’t need chafe protection mid thigh, volleyball shorts (especially female ones) are great.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Seems that these shorts might be contrary to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamic Walking

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Don’t know what the Second Law is, Nick.  I will admit that if I were walking in your neck of the woods, I might have to think twice about them.  Desert with stickers everywhere might not be the place to wear spandex.  The other spot is under heavy mosquito pressure.  I do use permethrin on mine for the summer.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

It’s ok that you don’t know  the 2nd Law of Thermodynamic Walking! But you can google it with Colin Fletcher.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Diane,

I am fairly certain the 2nd Law isn’t applicable to you.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I just got some asics stretchy running shorts in the mail. I like them. I plan on wearing them over wool underwear. Seems like running tights would slip over them easier than loose shorts without bunching.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools