Topic

Anyone used a Dyneema tent in winter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Anyone used a Dyneema tent in winter?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’m wondering how Dyneema fabric works in winter.

Is it very stiff and hard to pack when cold?

Is it noisy in windy conditions?

Is it more fragile when cold?

Thinking of buying a TT Notch Li with partial fabric inner tent and maybe using it in winter.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I would be most concerned with any single wall shelter whether dyneema or not used in our Appalachian mountains in the winter due to excessive condensation.  Usually a double wall tent has a solid fabric inner tent canopy directing dripping inside fly water to fall to the ground off the canopy.  A mesh inner is not solid and has thousands of tiny holes for possible leaks.

But I’m interested in your question too as I’ve been researching the Hyperlite Ultramid 4 with the screen insert.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

1. I can say from my last 3 years of winter use in my hammock using a DCF tarp.. No it is not stiff and hard to pack. I have used it down to 0 degrees,  I used it in snow storms, heavy winds, hail, rain, sleet and ice.. Never had any issues packing. I actually think it’s better to pack then any frozen sil nylon or whatever saturated fabrics. I will also say, No it is not fragile in cold. There is no signs of any wear n tear on any of my DCF tarps .. Going on 4 years of all season use here in Northeast NY. I personally do not think it’s noisy in the wind.. As for the tarps, I get a nice taught pitch and that’s it. Never have to adjust or re tighten thru the night. Sure in extreme winds I hear a little noise.. Nothing that bothers or concerns me.. If you think it’s noise like a blow up pad from thermarest.. No way. Nothing like that sound at all.  For me.. I will say not noisy.
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

on some previous thread – the adhesive tape can lose it’s strength when cold

some tape is better

reinforcing seams with stitching helps

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Yep Jerry, I’m concerned with the seams and seam tape.

Walter, The TT Notch Li can be had with a “partial solid” interior. That’s what I would get, if only to block the blowing dust as found in Utah and here the Mojave where I live.

Also I really wonder about the door closures with magnets. Would they seal out blowing snow in a surprise storm as I’ve experienced in Utah? Doubtful. Maybe I’d need to add more magnets but in that case why not just put zippers in? (and seam seal them)

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

Been using my Ultamid in the winter in the PNW for a few years. It’s pretty commonly used in the winter. I don’t think it’s any stiffer when cold than during the summer. It’s not particularly noisy if you pitch it well. It’s not more fragile, although I have punctured it with a carelessly placed snowshoe crampon while setting it up. Condensation is an issue since it’s single walled. It will condense on the inside. If you bump it, it will rain down on you. This is mostly avoidable if you’re careful, but it’s pretty much impossible to open the door without it happening. It’s also a problem once you pack it up. You can shake it out as best as you can, but there will still be condensation on the inside once you set it up the next day, or when you get home.

Justin G
    BPL Member

@jg13

I have a TT Notch Li…used it outside Moreland Gap shelter during a section from Carvers Gap to Kincora (Nov 1 thru Nov 3).  25 degree night and windy…performed terrific.  Not noisy, no condensation issue, very taught pitch.  Full mesh inner…a bit tight but love it.

Justin G
    BPL Member

@jg13

Didn’t notice any stiffness, etc when packing/unpacking

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Eric
    I would worry more about the design and construction of the shelter than the fabric. I have used a CF MLD Duomid for snow camping for the last 3 plus seasons. (The shelter is also used in summer, spring and fall).

“Is it very stiff and hard to pack when cold?” In winter, the CF Duomid is not any stiffer or harder to pack than in the spring or summer. It does take up more room in my pack than my Silnylon Duomid.

“Is it noisy in windy conditions?” I have not been bothered by any noise.

“Is it more fragile when cold?” It is not more fragile at lower temperatures. In the face of wind, I would think that the seam construction, tie outs, pitch and anchor points matter more than the fabric.

“Adhesives failing” Nope.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

The reason I asked this is because at my “advanced age” I’m lightening everything possible and I can save almost 1/2 the weight of my Moment DW with a Notch Li. Plus it has a similar footprint and setup is “kinda-sorta” similar.

I would use theNotchLi for hunting. That happens in the October shoulder season and in Nevada’s high country I could easily see snow and pretty cold weather.

I’d still use the Moment DW for winter as it’s tried and tested in winter and does very well.

Thanks all for the encouraging comments on Dyneema in cold weather.

Paul bayne
    BPL Member

@keyschool

Ultamid works great for winter mountaineering. There can be issues with condensation. Sometimes you can ventilate the tent before packing up and in really cold dry conditions it will either dry up pretty quick, or freeze. In those conditions I usually have so many layers on that I don’t care about getting a little moisture on my shoulder or elbow. In deep snow we usually have dug down far enough that we are not making in contact with the walls of the shelter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools