Topic

Anyone use a double wall Dyneema tent last winter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Anyone use a double wall Dyneema tent last winter?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’m going to use my Notch Li with the “solid” sections inner tent this winter to see how it works in sub freezing temps.  It is decently vented from bottom to top (as the air naturally flows when it is occupied). Maybe that good ventilation will mitigate condensation as it certainly does in my Moment DW.

I’m wondering how it will pack up when it’s really cold in the morning. AS small as it is I won’t be using it for anything but sleeping – unless I have to cook in it in a blizzard. (It’s happened.)

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’ve used mine on several wintry trips now, down to subzero F temps.

It’s a little drafty, I actually wish the inner was 100% solid so I could button it up and prevent spindrift on the windiest nights.

It does require a larger stuff sack to pack up. My winter sack is about 2x the size of the stock, which allows me to basically fold it in thirds and quickly roll it up.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

ThanksRyan, nice to know I’ll need a larger stuff sack.

I have modified myNotch Li with 4 fly hem stake loops so maybe nailing them down would keep put some spindrift.  But yeah, it’s got a lot of mesh area on the sides as it is really a 3 season tent.  I will not use the Notch Li if I know there may be very high winds forecast.

My Moment DW is now even better suited to winter because I had to buy a new fly as the original blew while it was unattended in my backyard and a sudden windstorm came up.

The new fly has more main hoop pole guy points (4) and a heavier duty pole. Along with the shortened X-ing pole I ran under the fly I’m very sure this tent will be OK in extreme winter conditions in Nevada. I kinda look on that tent (when using the longitudinal X-ing pole) as a hybrid tunnel tent.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools