Topic

Anyone making custom footprints?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Anyone making custom footprints?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

looking for perhaps one .of the cottage vendors out there who could make me a custom Dyneema ground sheet for my tent. The oem footprint is over 6 oz.s, however, I like the grommets on the corner that allow the tent poles to hook into and secure

thanks !

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

You can make a custom footprint out of a large piece of polycryo. Gossamer gear sells large sheets pretty cheap. I’ve set DCF down on the ground and been able to feel the spines of oak leaves poking right through with light hand pressure. I used polycryo under my tent for 1200 miles of the PCT before I noticed a hole and then I just put a bit of packing tape on it and was good to go.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Are you looking to do a Fly/Footprint pitch, or just protect the bottom of your tent? Your desire for grommets makes me guess the first thing, but then you commented on the weight – which grommets will contribute to.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Thanks guys..looking for the fly/ footprint option

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I’ll second Diane’s suggestion on the polycro. especially if you go with the medium weight 1 mil from Gossamergear. Most people use the .7 mil underneath their shelter and it weighs about 0.5 oz / sq yd. The 1 mil on the other hand comes in at 0.7 oz/sq yd and it provides you a little more thickness (and substance) for taping on plastic washers with clear Scotch packaging tape, or QUALITY duct tape. That serves as your grommets.

Some DIY’ers use the heavier 1.5 mil Duck brand polycro to make tarps, but that’s overkill for a groundsheet. David Gardner has some threads on making polycro tarps, I’ll see if I can dig one up. He shows how the washers are applied.

You want the Large GG polycro (1 mil). Why waste money on expensive DCF?

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I don’t think polycro will reliably support a freestanding tent in Fly/Footprint setup, as grommets will need to be added to support the fly poles, and I don’t think the polycro itself would hold the tension exerted by the poles for any extended time. You could use corsage to connect/keep tension in the absence of a footprint, but it might be a little finicky to set up. It would be reliable tho, and super ultralight weight. If I didn’t have a bunch of projects taking my time right now, I’d volunteer to help you out. Most footprints are a bit heavier than they need to be for people who are careful with their gear. I wouldn’t use dyneema, but a nice durable poly with a good PU coating would keep your butt dry and hold up for a good while. What tent?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

You’re right Micheal, I didn’t realize the OP was referring to a footprint that involves poles exerting lateral tension, in fast fly mode. So I’d go with the Xenon 1.1 silpoly from Dutchware. It tests at a high HH and since it’s polyester it won’t retain as much water as silnylon. You can buy grommet kits about anywhere.

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

Consider doing tie outs instead of  grommets.  Grommets require pretty precise placement.  The tie outs are adjustable.  These are 2 footprints I made for my XMid. 

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Thanks again…all good suggestions

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Consider doing tie outs instead of  grommets.  Grommets require pretty precise placement.  The tie outs are adjustable.  These are 2 footprints I made for my XMid.

I think that could work, but I think fast fly, or Fly/Footprint setups with freestanding shelters do in fact require some precision in locating the grommet, or in your case, tie outs, since the shelter poles require precise placement in order for the fly to pitch tightly as intended. There might be a little wiggle room, but not to the same extent afforded by non-freestanding shelters such as pyramids – you could call the tie-outs “adustable”, but it is likely that they will be adjusted once to ensure the tent pitches tight, and then left that way. Just some food for thought.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools