Topic

anyone make a light (ish) grid fleece vest?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) anyone make a light (ish) grid fleece vest?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

looking for a light grid fleece vest to add to base layer and windshirt for on the move insulation

looks like a few manufacturers made some in the past, but my google-foo skills aren’t turning any up

thanks

Christopher Palmer
    BPL Member

@ctpalmer

Locale: North Georgia

Not light but it is a grid fleece:  Kuiu Peloton 240 Vest, 8.3 oz.
    <h1 class=”product-name pull-left “></h1>

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

Since you seem to be into milsurp lately :-) you could consider picking up a Level 2 zip-T and lopping the arms off. They are dirt cheap! Order a size down – they run large.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Thanks- the Kuiu is 240 gram fabric, kind of in between, was hoping a little lighter

what I’d really like to cut up is my Patagonia thermal weight hoodie, but at that price point there would be too much crying :)

does the military make a lightweight fleece layer?

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I would love to find one, too.  In my search I found a Softshell/Fleece combo that was discontinued by Patagonia a few years ago, the Wind Shield Hybrid Softshell Vest, with a wind stopper style front and Capilene Thermal back.  I just wish the front was more breathable, like Cap Thermal all the way around.  I got it used so no returning but it’s playing the role for now.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

There’s a nice looking Orvis grid fleece vest on eBay, but it’s a medium. No idea of the weight.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Paul- I hadn’t heard of that one, of course as you say discontinued

Doug- Orvis an LL Bean both made, no idea on weight of either (I probably need a Large)

anyone have experience with the Atom SL vest?  I’m sure every bit as warm as a light fleece (probably warmer???), but breathability might not be as good???

the weight is nice 5.5 oz

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

You can still find the Wind Shield vest used or on clearance.  I found mine on Patagonia Worn Wear.  Steep and Cheap is selling size Small for example.

Other good options:

• Nano Air Light Hybrid Vest
    • OR Deviator Hooded Vest

I really wanted the Nano Air but couldn’t justify the price.  The OR vest looks real nice but I didn’t think the fit would work for me based on reviews I read.  It looks real nice with the grid fleece hood built in.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Don’t know anything about this company (Vineyard Vines) though they seem to have lots of stores across the US, and a grid fleece vest, FWIW.

https://www.vineyardvines.com/mens-vests/grid-fleece-vest/1O0309.html#product-view-a

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Mike,

There is a USGI ECWS grid base layer but not sure about the weight.   They were released after I got out but after some lazy searching, it looks like there’s a heavier one with a kangaroo pocket and a lighter one with a half zip.

I believe they’re listed on Amazon under Rothco.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

does the military make a lightweight fleece layer?

No vest that I know of, but tops and bottoms in ECWCS Level 2, or PCU Level 2. The shirts have a half-zip and high collar. The fleece is Polartec, roughly 200 weight. I love my Level 2 shirts!

E. G.: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/fs-military-ecwcs-l2-gen-iii-grid-fleece-top-like-r1-flash-civilian-large/

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I’ve seen a thin powerdry vest here, tight fitting, full zip from Mountain Hardwear, made for runners. Can’t find it right now, and it might have been Japanese market only, but could be good to search for a bit.

I also have a Marmot hybrid ½ zip vest. Front thin Alpha, back thin Powerdry.
    In the end though I either wear my Montbell Chameece fleece vest (153g), but mostly I wear the Montbell UL Thermawrap Vest for 157g.

I do think when wet from rain or sweat in the cold, tight fitting Powerdry feels almost as if you’re dry, even though you’re soaked. So I agree that what you’re looking for makes a ton of sense.

Hope you find what you need

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have one by LL Bean that’s exactly the same material as R1.  I also have one from Norrona that is a little lighter.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Why not a basketball mesh T-Shirt?

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

You could always wait for a ratty R1 to pop up on gearswap or in a thrift store and lop the arms off.  Usually the part that gets the most abuse IME is the arms anyway.

I’ve been interested in the OR deviator hoody for a while now, and it is on sale right now I believe.  I just have to decide if it is worth the crap the wife will give me if I get it.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks for the ideas :)

the OR vest looks nice, but my wife has the hoodie and I think it will be too warm for what I’m like for (it’s also 11 oz)

the Nano Light is probably closer to  the warmth/weight I’m looking for

the old R1 vest is a little warmer/heavier than I’m looking for too- I had one, nice  backcountry skiing in very cold conditions- ended selling it as it fit a pretty narrow niche for me

I think something along the lines of the thermal weight capilene fabric would be pretty darn close

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Last winter at Old Navy, I bought a grid fleece hoody that was halfway between an R1 and Cap 4. If they have them again this year they might be worth a try.   It might not be exactly what you are looking for but at $18, it might be worth cutting up and experimenting with.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ Brad- that just might work, I’ll have my wife keep her eyes peeled

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

When Melanzana was more available by web, I took one of their Crew neck grid fleeces, lopped the sleeves off, and put in a full-length zipper.  Perfect!  I often carry it, sometimes with another Melanzana grid that I just put a full-length zipper in, as my insulation layers in really wet weather.  the two together give me good temp control over a baselayer and under a shell, and I can mix and match as the temperature requires.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

There’s a PATAGONIA GRID STOP BLUE FLEECE VEST – MEN’S LARGE in gear swap, only $30, FWIW.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/patagonia-grid-stop-blue-fleece-vest-mens-large/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools