Topic

Anyone have Projects Working With Dyneema Waterproof Breathable CTB1B3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Anyone have Projects Working With Dyneema Waterproof Breathable CTB1B3

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Claiborne B
    BPL Member

@cbrown2019

I have a few yards of 1.2 oz Dyneema Composite Fabric Waterproof Breathable CTB1B3-1.0/H2 from RBTR. My initial project was to use this material as a top half of a bivy and the lower being comprised of  1.0 oz Dyneema® Composite Fabric CT2K.18. I’ve since abandoned that project idea since I really don’t have a use for a totally enclosed bivy.

It’s my understanding is this Dynemma doesn’t hold a bond well and must be sewn. It sounds like it also can’t be taped, so clothing options seem to be out, but don’t really know.

Has anyone worked with this material? Can you share any projects? Or ideas?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The problem with a lack of bond is often due to the DWR coating on the fabric. This has happened with a number of different fabrics for me.

Cheers

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Did you contact RBTR or DSM?

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I think the footbox of a bivy in that fabric isn’t a bad idea. Its the part you’ll most like accidentally expose to weather outside of a tarp without realising (more likely to feel water slapping you in the face while you sleep). See the Borah Gear Dimma Bivy as an example

Spencer A
    BPL Member

@spencer-a

I’ve made multiple jackets, pants, and mitts out of this fabric. DCF tape sticks to both sides very well. I’m actually considering going with just bonded seams on a future iteration

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Is this the same fabric Zpacks used to make rain jackets out of a long time ago? Before they made the Vertice jacket? Sort of plastic-feeling and almost gray? If so, yeah after a while the taped seams on the sleeves peeled open with the constant motion of my arms rubbing against my pack straps. The other seams are fine. You should sew and tape it where it will experience stress, otherwise tape works fine. If it’s the same fabric.

Whatever it is, you could make a rain skirt. You don’t need any seams for a wrap-around rain skirt.

Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

It is a bit different from the fabric Zpacks used to make rain jackets out of a long time ago, which has the same two sides.

Isn’t it the same fabric that HMG used to make its white jacket?

This latest version has the front side you see more clear the Dyneema threads, and the back/inner side is more of the membrane.

DCF tape bonds well, but perhaps not so well as to the “pure” DCF types <= 1.0oz.

Jackets/pants with this 1.2 oz DCF type proves not to be commercially successful. Zpacks started it many years ago and stopped. Later HMG started it but also stopped it. Perhaps it’s too expensive and not so durable as to make it popular.

The only case I am using now is to make the 1.2 oz as a waterproof/breathable bottom to my dry sacks, as another options to the totally waterproof 1.0 oz bottom.

The waterproof/breathable bottom of the dry sack could make it easier to stuff down sleeping bags for not quite experienced people.

Stuart S
    Spectator

@ulperformance

Did you try polyurethane glue such as shoegoo? I’ve used it on standard dynemma with good success.

My 4.7 ounce tent, 0.51 oz/sqyd, 5ft x 9ft x 3.5ft high

Fred A
    BPL Member

@bfp

I was considering making a tent with waterproof breathable Dyneema. I now have a few yards but RSBTR no longer has any more fabric. What are other’s experiences with this fabric for tents and is there an outlet that still carries this fabric?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools