Topic

Anyone have a Bibler/Black Diamond I-tent or Eldorado tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone have a Bibler/Black Diamond I-tent or Eldorado tent?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a little pole project for a Bibler Eldorado and I need to know what the pole tips look like. If you have any the tents that use internal poles with the “snap” pole seat, a photo would be most helpful. From what I have gathered, the Eldorado, Torre and Tempest use the same poles. The I-Tent uses the same fittings with shorter poles.The length and or diameter on the Eldorado, Torre and Tempest poles would also be very useful well.

Thanks!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I don’t think that any of the Bibler tents have pole tips.

Mine just have the bare end of the pole segment to insert into the socket.

Most use 8.6mm (0.340 “) poles

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

That was my assumption, but there must be an end widget to hold the shock cord. I read accounts of people punching a hole in the fabric while pitching the tent. It seems like a flakey design on a $700 item. Something mushroom shaped like a trekking pole rubber end cap would be a gentler solution.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I With the Easton poles there is a stopper that jams the cord about 1″ back.

With the DAC version the stopper is where the section is narrowing .

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Thanks! I read up on it and found that some poles just use a washer that jams on the joining ferrule.

The stock poles are $50 each. Enter imagineering mode. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Here Dale: the original tips and the tips from carbon fiber poles:

I’ve been using the CF poles for a few years now, and they’ve worked quite well. Much easer to seat than the original poles, imho. (But the tent only goes out a few times a year now, so I don’t have a ton of experience with them. But for cold/snow/wet trips, it still kicks ass.)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Thank you Matt! I have made aluminum poles with plastic caps like your CF example. Seems to work fine. Do you know the length?

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

The original poles measure about 139-1/4″

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Gold! Thanks to everyone for the help with this.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

If you use 340 poles and the original Bibler socket, the bare tip sits inside the socket snugly. If you add a sleeve to the pole (pole tip) it will sit on the socket but not inside. The chance of the poles sliding out of those sockets is very high.

(that is why there is no tip on them…)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Yup, got that. That photo confirms my assumptions. Odd that none of the online video reviews show the pole seat as different as it is from other designs. That photo is just what I needed to see  Thanks!

My cheapie poles are a little smaller and could jump out.

Now that I’ve had a chance to experiment I may just order a set of stock poles. It’s not the sort of tent for casual use or second best. A sudden storm at altitude is not the time for a pole failure. I have a store credit at a Black Diamond dealer :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I found a whole pile of Easton pole sections and made my own, using the info provided here. Thanks to your help, it was a first-try success.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

BTW, I find inserting the poles on those tents a lot easier if the corners are staked out first.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Makes sense to have them stable. I don’t think that would work on my oak dining room floor ; )

Overshot
    BPL Member

@overshot03

Locale: North East

This is an old thread, but the folks that have the Eldorado how do you like it? Is it fairly rugged and space enough for 2 generally?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Sold mine quite a while ago, not only is the Eldorado not light the fabric is very bulky by modern standards.  I loved the shape and size, snug but not right for two people.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I have an original Bibler I-tent. You could fit 2 people in there, but personally would not want to spend much time in it that way. 1 person, yes.. ok.. Yes it also is bulky material but I can get it in a compression sack and get it packed small.. however.. if its wet, snow or ice.. I think it would be tougher.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

here it is with additional vestibule.  That pad is a regular/wide neoair in there.. for reference.

Overshot
    BPL Member

@overshot03

Good feedback.  Seems like the size of the Eldorado is slightly on the snugger side for 2 people. The I-tent isn’t and option due to being too small.

Does anyone have any experience with the Eldorado in high winds? If so how did it do?

Dave: What are some other modern options you might recommend for 2 person bomber strength for all 4 seasons?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Just curious.. what are your plans for using it? 2 adults? Solo? 1 adult/ 1 child? Where are you going to use it? All 4 seasons? Or strictly the 4th season/ winter? Do u plan to pack/ carry it.. like backpacking? Or pulling in on a sled? Climbing? Mountain tops/ ledges? Base camping/ car camping? Above or below tree line? Rainy weather or strictly below freezing in the snow?

Overshot
    BPL Member

@overshot03

Good questions and hope this isn’t too much thread drift on the subject!

I’ll be using it with my wife, we are both on the smaller side of average size.  I will use this in winter conditions primarily in (but not limited to) the northeast. I would almost always carry it in my pack, rarely on a pulk. Setup locations could be a mix of anywhere, including ares of exposure. Chances seem slim we would be in it for extended periods of time. Rain and wet  could be a possibility.  I have other shelters (Ultamid 4, TT DRLI, flat tarp) I use throughout the warmer months so this doesn’t need to be totally versatile in those conditions.

I have been using a BD Fitzroy for a few years and has served the winter use very well.  Just looking at options for lighter weight, smaller packing, while not giving up the bomber strength that it has.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools