Topic

anyone familiar with the Mazatzal Wilderness (AZ)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning anyone familiar with the Mazatzal Wilderness (AZ)?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

We’re looking to do a trip into the Mazatzal Wilderness- probably mid March to end of March.  Looking at 80-100-ish miles.

I plotted a route, but not sure if I’m missing an area I should take in, included an area we shouldn’t, water sources, etc.

Any advice, tips, etc would be much appreciated.

Possible loop

https://caltopo.com/m/GAMTA

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I’ve hiked it extensively except for the southwest portion. Barnhardt trail is an absolute must, one of the top 5 classic hikes in Arizona (outside GCNP). I’d park at the Barnhardt trailhead and then hike 7 miles up to the Mazatzal Divide trail (also AZT). Head north from there.

I can’t tell exactly what trails you have planned out but I have a very detailed USDA Forest Service map of the Mazatzals I’m looking at. Appears as if you’re wanting to go up just west of Pine and then over to the Verde River Trail and south. That would all be doable, however from Horsehoe Lake east I’d be ready for some extremely rugged terrain and hard to follow trails.. Don’t want to dissuade you because I love the Mazatzals, it’s kind an underrated gem in my book. But it ain’t no game and I’d certainly have my water situation planned out. Hardcopy maps as well as GPS.

Water is scarce, mostly seeps at best, so you probably want to do some water drops. And if you get into a stretch where wildfires have gone through, it can be 1 mile per hour. Scenery is all worth it though and you won’t come across many people. Highly recommend.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

In Jan ‘00, I hiked the western part a bit (starting @ Sheep’s Bridge .. may have been the north part of the reservoir) then following a trail to the general north that would touch along the Verde River where I filtered water.   The west part was mostly solid sand with a decent trail going through desert shrubs.  It was pretty isolated to the west though there are some prop-driven airplanes landing nearby.  The one change I’d make would be chemically treating Verde River water in addition to filtering.

Highlight: going next to a cliff where condor restoration was going on, looking over the edge of a cliff (overlooking the Verde), and seeing large birds (condors, eagles?) circling below.

Pretty nice hike I thought, but the drive in from I-17 to the western part of the wilderness became a real PITA rock strewn dirt road with a drop off (lots of vehicle wrecks below), but it’s been awhile.  Watch hunting seasons..

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Yeah I look at the area just west of Pine as it looks you have close access to both the Verde River trail and the AZT, allowing a loop and no shuttle.

Monty what US Forest Service map are you using, we don’t want to be trying to find 30 year abandoned trails :)

But hitting the Verdes and then south, cut across at some point and hit the AZT north to the same starting point (or close).

Looks like we could do a similar loop starting/finishing at Barnhardt?

My route also shows us summiting Mazatzal Peak- that was just a sketch in (no trail) and not sure if that it feasible or not.

Thanks guys!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

This map is from 1998 but not much has changed. You an get one on ebay.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/233294132144?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338590836&toolid=10044&customid=3920b0fe26c51d9d8344d30a4941a551

Only the main trails (Mazatzal Divide, Barnhardt, Verde River) get any kind of maintenance. I see National Geographic has a map of Mazatzals and Pine Mountain and that would be better and more recent (2009). REI.com has them. I love their maps. I have to head off to work now but I can follow up with more tonight. https://www.rei.com/product/800059/national-geographic-mazatzal-and-pine-mountain-wilderness-areas-topographic-map?CAWELAID=120217890002808730&cm_mmc=PLA_Bing%7C21700000001700551_8000590011%7C92700062073680327%7CNB%7C71700000081549189&msclkid=6c76aeb4b7b915a9c896cd40d83dbd41&gclid=6c76aeb4b7b915a9c896cd40d83dbd41&gclsrc=3p.ds

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ thanks just ordered one

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Since Arizona has been getting very good rainfall over the past year or so, most of the state is officially out of drought conditions, at least according to the current US Drought Monitor Map https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?West

Ther are a number of springs and seeps which could potentially yield water, especially in the southern half of the Mazatzals during March and April. The USDA map I have shows every single seep and spring known in the wilderness area, and believe me they’ve ALL been known for at least 150 years. Even though it’s a 1998 map it’s not out of date one bit in terms of potential water sources. I don’t know if the National Geographic map shows every seep and spring in detail as much.

As far as making your way in a loop back to the Barnhardt trailhead, you can catch Forest Trail 223 east from the Sheep Bridge trailhead in what is generally the southwest part of your planned route. There are a number of springs on that trail. I haven’t hiked FT 223 myself but I used to shoe a horse for an Apache named Yellowknife and he did the trail riding the animal. He could take that horse places you’d swear to God no horse could go.

I’d assume FT 223 hasn’t been maintained though. Looking for cairns is the key to finding your way.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’ll check the Nat Geo map out and see how it looks for water sources.  My Gaiagps uses a USGS topo, it usually does pretty good with springs- I’ll look at that too.

I’ve been checking into Barnhardt and looks like a place we better not skip :)

I’m also keeping an eye on Baker Butte Snotel- looks like plenty of moisture (200% of normal), so hoping the seeps/springs get a good charge!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Please do a post trip report here on BPL with lots of pics.

At over a quarter of a million acres the Mazatzals is one of the largest wilderness areas in the US. When you look at it on a good topographical map (hardcopy) you can immediately see why the east central portion of the Mazatzals is the most spectacular.

And regardless of what anybody tells you it’s pronounced “mah zat salls”

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

And regardless of what anybody tells you it’s pronounced “mah zat salls”

I was trying to wrap my tongue around that one with no luck- thanks!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have nothing to add here other than the Barnhardt Trail is extremely pleasant and I’ve been meaning to explore further. Enjoy!

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

You had me at rugged terrain and lack of people. This sounds like a good moore bro’s adventure. Thanks for the insite HkNewman and Monte Masterson.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

You had me at rugged terrain and lack of people. This sounds like a good moore bro’s adventure. Thanks for the insite HkNewman and Monte Masterson.

Sitting here at -14 (with a windchill of -28) it sounds even more appealing!  :D

Dennis W
    BPL Member

@dwags0116

Locale: Southern California

I’ve packed into Mazatzals from several angles — down Red Creek to the Verde and then upriver; over Barnhardt Trail; down the Verde from Childs and up from Sheep Bridge; along the East Verde River from Baby Doll Ranch. Just beware that trails showing on maps (except Barnhardt) are often obsolete or sketchy, and even in March the heat can be trouble if you don’t carry lots of water. (When your map says you’re hiking cl0se to the river you’re likely on a canyon overlook with no way to access the water for miles.) I would advise against bringing a dog — even an experienced one. (We had to duct-tape socks onto my pooch’s feet on the last trip.) All of that said, it’s vast, rugged, lonely, beautiful country.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ Thanks!  We’ll err on the side of caution with water.  I’ve updated our route, starting and finishing at the Barnhardt trailhead.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Booked our flights for the first week of April :). We may adjust our loop a bit on the fly depending on how much (or how little) mileage we’re making.

Got the Nat Geo map in hand.  I marked all the seeps/springs on the Forest Service map onto my gps (gaiagps too layer shows them too).  We’re watching Baker Butte for snow depth (currently 3′) and temps, appears it’s the closest snotel site to Mazatzal.

So green light :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thanks for the invite! Pretty sure I can make this happen, looks like a great route Mike. I’ve had my eye on this area for some time.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Thanks for the invite! Pretty sure I can make this happen, looks like a great route Mike. I’ve had my eye on this area for some time.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

April is when you have to be most on the lookout for rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the trails in the morning. It’s still cold enough at night to where they want to seek the sun’s rays when it rises of the AM. However the surrounding brush and grass somewhat blocks the sun so the trail ends up being the ideal spot for the reptiles to warm up. I came so close to stepping on a monster diamondback one morning that I still have nightmares about it. How the hell that thing didn’t bite me I don’t know. I got less than a foot away from it and I found out just how loud a big rattlesnake can hiss.

I saw a big tarantula in the Mazatzals too. They supposedly won’t hurt you but they look really creepy.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ Putting Tom in the lead :)

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

Rattlesnakes….. yum! I will throw in some panko.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Rattlesnakes….. yum! I will throw in some panko.

same with the tarantulas?  :D

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yes @ April is Official Rattlesnake Month. I saw four in less than a week a few years ago. Eyes on the trail for sure.

Tarantulas are super-creepy and almost a little cute.

The Mazatzals have been getting absolutely hammered with winter storms for the last week or two. Hopefully, that helps with the April water situation. Flowers too!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Yeah Baker Butte, which is the closest snotel site I could find, went from 35″ to 52″ in a day- that’s a fair bit of snow :)

should be dwindling as April approaches

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Did it.  Tougher than we bargained, but that’s not unusual :)

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/moseying-through-the-mazatzals/

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!