Topic

Anyone but Exped make a 72" wide pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone but Exped make a 72" wide pad?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Locale: Rustbelt

I’m an active side sleeper and my 20″ wide Neo-Air just isn’t cuttin’ it.  I find that I’m constantly half off of the pad.  Anyone know of an at least 2″ thick pad that comes in a regular wide?  It seems that most wide pads are also long…

Rob
    BPL Member

@grubbster

REI flash, Big Anges axl, big agnes slx tl name a few.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

From your title, I thought you were looking for a pad that was 72″ wide (i.e. for a ménage à trois), but you’re looking for one that is 72″ (long) AND wide?

I’ve got a lot of 72″x and 76″ x 25″ pads, but they’re all the “camper” versions – wide, long, thick, but heavy.    I use them on car camping and boating trips, and sometimes for winter camping when I’m using a sled behind me.  Lafuma Maxi Comfort XL is my favorite in part because the velcro on the side lets me attach two of them together very securely.  That’s nice when camping with my wife but it is also nice to not have gaps in the insulation in tent on the snow.  Seriously not light, though, at 5.5 pounds and I don’t see any listed in stock.  I think I got mine, maybe on closeout, maybe through Sierra Trading Post or more likely SteepAndCheap because I find an old link of theirs from 2009 and it was on sale $54.  Here are pics and specs:

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/lafuma-maxi-comfort-xl/30637/p

I”ve also got two Alps brand Summit sleeping pads, long, wide, thick pads with velcro on the sides, but I wouldn’t recommended them.  One delaminated a bit nylon raised a bubble off the foam insides and the other delaminated a lot.  Some of their models are up now on Sierra Trading Post for quite cheap ($39).

Here’s one at Sierra Trading Post that’s 74 x 22 x 2″ -Multimet Trekker II.  22″ might seem a fair bit wider than 20″.  It would to me.  $24.99.  3#4oz.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/multimat-trekker-ii-sleeping-pad-self-inflating~p~214fw/

And, brainstorming here, you could buy 3 Therm-a-rest Z-Rest 72″x20″ pads (currently $24.99 each on STP), cut one in half lengthwise and put one and half of them on the bottom and one and half of them on the top for a 3-pound, R-4.4, 72″ x 35″ pad.  It would be a lot of volume because they don’t deflate, but it would also be a heck of a cushion / stiffer in a frameless pack.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Rob’s thought of a REI Flash in regular wide (72 x 24 x 2) at 1#3oz, $109 is better than any of my current fleet.

The Big Agnes AXL regular wide (72 x 25 x 3.75), 15.2 ounces, $240 ain’t cheap but that’s a very nice weight for that size of pad.  I wonder if unintentionally finding the edge of a 4-inch pad in the middle of the night is more disruptive to one’s sleep than getting a little off of a 2-inch-thick pad.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Also, most (but not all of) Klymit’s pads are 23″ wide, which is a really good compromise width…and they’ve pretty much got the “best value” market sewn up!

Edited to add:  I know I’m an Exped UL7 MW fangirl, but you’ve got to admit, they started the whole UL medium wide trend, which others are now adopting years later!  Used to be you could only get a 25″ wide mattress in “car camping” weights…

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Thanks for all the replies.  Yes, I’m looking for a 72″x25″ pad.  Being a side sleeper and old, I need a 2″ thick pad as well.  I hate to drop more than $150.00 on a pad.  I did find an Exped Synmat UL for $135.00.  The REI Flash looks pretty nice for $139.00, but reviews on durability seem skechy.  Klymit pads seem to get some mixed reviews as well, so I might just go with the Exped.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

The Thermarest Neo Air Trekker also comes in a Regular wide, FYI.

Edit:  Nemo Tensor comes in Reg Wide as well.

Steve Chan
    Spectator

@sychan

Locale: SF Bay Area

You could get the California King equivalent and go with a Klymit Static V Luxe. The Klymit pads have a lot of relatively complex welds to get the V shaped baffles, and I experienced a failure at one of these internal welds – Klymit replaced it very quickly once I reported it.
    You could also check out the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus mats, they seem to get good reviews.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

NeoAir Xlite 78×25 and cut it down to size.

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

I’m going with the REI, since it is on sale right now.  I can always return it.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

One point about cutting down your pads:  it voids the warranty.  After our recent experience with a NeoAir XLite lasting only a couple of dozen nights before getting a slow leak, I would hate to have spent all that money for it, and not been able to get a clearly defective product replaced!

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

I got the REI Flash today.  First impression is that I really like it.  It should be comfortable for this very active side sleeper.  The other sleep item I got was a pillow from Uncle Luke on these forums.  3.4 onces of neck pleasing foam!  I can’t wait to get these on the trail and try them.

steven green
    BPL Member

@mrgreen4

Therm-A-Rest makes a 25X72 NeoAir Xlite, I believe it’s exclusive for Backcountry Edge. I just got one through Amazon. Sounds like what the OP is looking for.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools