Topic

Anyon own a Trekkertent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyon own a Trekkertent?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

I’m considering getting a Stealth 2. The small handful of reviews I’ve read seem positive, but I’d be curious to read any first hand accounts. What you like, what you dislike?

I’m keen on their tents as Scottish conditions can be similar to New Zealand – wet and windy. They seem very light for double walled shelters. Double wall isn’t the be all or end all for me, but having it at that weight is a huge bonus.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

You could once again ask those questions on Trek_lite…

http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/trekkertents.240/

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Looks quite like a TarpTent Pro Trail, but the length and width dimensions aren’t listed. Pro Trail listed as 42″ W  x 107″ L. And one must also consider the Pound Sterling/Dollar exchange rate (currently $1.23) and possible shipping/tax costs,

One thing that caught my attention was the corner staking arrangement. Personally I would prefer that of the Pro Trail because it offers more flexibility for placing stakes in our rocky Northeast terrain.

Josh Thomas
    BPL Member

@jtpeso

Locale: Louisville, Ky

I have a Stealth 1.5. I like it. I got a couple of the heavier options (40D sil, zippered back door). Communication with Peter was great, order time was pretty well on the nose. When I got the tent, the first thing I noticed was that the tent was a little “waxy” feeling. I don’t have any tents with 40D sil, so that may or may not be normal, but it seemed to attract a lot of dust and dirt on my trip  (to the Wind River Range). The other initial thing was that the directions for set-up were off a bit; the pole lengths prescribed on the sheet weren’t even close. Once I figured that out and made adjustments to the poles, it set up pretty easy. Craftsmanship, stitching, etc. was solid as well.

As for how it performed …

• The conditions were pretty ideal for most of my hike, so I can’t speak to how it holds up in crazy rain or snow. But we did have some strong winds and it performed well.
    • Set-up’s pretty easy once you do it a couple times
    • Inside inner space seems right for a 1.5 man tent. Without the inner (which I used every night, but obviously isn’t necessary most of the time), it’s a freaking palace.
    • Getting in and out the front entrance with a pole in the middle takes a little getting used to, but it wasn’t that much of a pain.
    • I’d recommend ordering the back zippered door to help with condensation. It adds minimal weight, but it helps a lot.

I like it enough that I’m thinking of pricing out a 30D version of just the tarp (since i already have the inner) if he’ll do it. So, again, it’s not perfect, but nothing else is either.

jt

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Update… actually TrekkerTent does show the floor width (widest part) in one of the diagrams

1400mm is 55 inches which is pretty darn good, assuming one doesn’t have a problem with or can ‘work around’ the diminishing head and shoulder volume higher up.

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

I’d recommend ordering the back zippered door to help with condensation. It adds minimal weight, but it helps a lot

Thanks for the rest of your reply. This comment struck me – is airflow significantly poor without the extra zipper, even if you have the front open?

And one must also consider the Pound Sterling/Dollar exchange rate (currently $1.23) and possible shipping/tax costs,

One thing that caught my attention was the corner staking arrangement. Personally I would prefer that of the Pro Trail because it offers more flexibility for placing stakes in our rocky Northeast terrain.

The former is much of a muchness when importing to NZ :) but good point on the latter. Being double walled is a nice advantage for my conditions (if only for the fact it’s easier to keep the inner dry on pack down).

Josh Thomas
    BPL Member

@jtpeso

Locale: Louisville, Ky

“Thanks for the rest of your reply. This comment struck me – is airflow significantly poor without the extra zipper, even if you have the front open?”

I don’t think it’s significantly poor at all. But being in the SE states, I’ll do all I can to help with it.

In Wyoming, I had no problem with the door zipped. Had a little condensation in Kentucky when I kept it closed, but I think the conditions (warm day, cool night, humid air) were ripe for it. I’m a sucker for options, too. :)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

just note that with a solid inner you can get significant condensation, more so than a mesh inner …

i have a stealth 1 and if you are going with a solid inner i would get the stealth 2 you are thinking about … the extra space in the inner would be useful as long as youre not worried about the footprint size

the mesh inner is useful though as the solid inner is really too warm for anything over 5-10C or so

i also asked mark to use #5 zippers and keep the metal tabs on em … makes em easier to pull and the zippers will last longer

;)

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

I won’t be going with a solid inner:) And the footprint is already really small, so I’m not stressed. Good weight for a 2p shelter that I’ll primarily use a 1p (with the odd 2p trip here or there).

I don’t think it’s significantly poor at all. But being in the SE states, I’ll do all I can to help with it.

Yeah gotcha. It’s not exactly a pricey option either. Might add nice versatility when pitching low as well.

As a point of debate, I wonder how people feel this compares to YMGs Cirriform DW? The cirriform is 10oz heavier for a 2p, and the internal dimensions are a bit more cramped (although potentially more usable due to the way the bathtub pulls out). But people rave about YMGs build quality, and the lack of an 8 week lead time + shipping is appealing. Perhaps the YMG is a little less wind worthy?

Paul E
    BPL Member

@floodcontrol

And if your thinking cirreform there is also the echo 2 from hyperlight mountain gear. V similar to the cirriform. Both look exceptional. Not used hyperlight but Gen at Yama Mou tain Gear is very responsive. I like that.

Paul

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

Yeah, I’ve appreciated Gen’s communication.

The Echo looks really nice, but quite out of my price range unfortunately

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

The Edge tent was posted on MYOG several years ago.
    Note: http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/7-stealth-2.html

Don H
    Spectator

@demonrho

I’ve got the silnylon Stealth 1 with the extra zippered back door and at 23 oz it has been great for my needs in Southern Cali and Utah. (Comes in at 14 oz w/o bug mesh.) Handles any wind and rain I’ve had to deal with. If you’re not using the inner mesh, the back door can be opened up and you can configure the tent like a tarp. Very well made and very versatile.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools