Topic

Anybody familiar w/. fording Palisade Creek around JCT with Middle Fork Kings?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anybody familiar w/. fording Palisade Creek around JCT with Middle Fork Kings?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

I have two hikers at Simpsom Meadows.  Their original Plan was to ford the Middle Fork of the Kings River in their way to Tehipite Valley.  The MF Kings River is running too swift for them to ford it.  Their backpup plan was to go upstream and gain the JMT.  They still will need to ford Palisade Creek to get to JMT.  We understand the footbridge showing on USGS topo maps is gone, but anybody familiar with that fording?.  Of course their last recourse would be to return to Roads End via Granite Pass as they came into Simpson Meadows.  I’m communicating with them via inreach and any feedback will be greatly appreciated.    Thank you in advance.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Mario, are you on the JMT Facebook Group? I suspect lots of people there will know the options.

Kief H
    BPL Member

@kief

Locale: Eastside Sierra, Downeast Maine

I’ve done the Palisade Creek ford in mid-June of an average snow year. I was by myself and didn’t like the look of the water at the trail ford. But there was an island a short ways (300-400 yards) upstream that I crossed to on a sturdy log, and then made an easier ford from the other side to the opposite bank. This was five or six years ago but the log looked like it had been there for many moons so it’s probably still in place. I’d recommend at least one trekking pole for balance while crossing.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I see that you have posted to the FB group. I misunderstood the location you were describing but I think I see it now SE of Grouse Meadow. I haven’t had any luck finding references to fording Palisade Creek in that area. I hope someone is able to share something useful soon.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

I’ve crossed it twice there, but in July or August of low snow years.

I suspect it is quite dangerous right now.

Here’s a relevant thread from HST: http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=16630

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

The HST thread I mentioned describes a few crossings done on August 24, 2017.

Here is 3 year plot of river for the San Joaquin near Devil’s Postpile. Completely different river, but similar elevation–perhaps a good proxy for Palisade Creek at the Middle Fork Kings:flow

The flow rate currently at the San Joaquin is several times (3x, perhaps) what the flow rate was on August 24th.

If Palisade Creek is behaving similarly, I’d be pessimistic about crossing it right now.

There’s no harm in hiking up the Middle Fork Kings to scope out the crossing Palisade Creek (the Middle Fork Kings gorge is quite scenic), but they should be mentally quite prepared to turn around at Palisade Creek, if they do. My $0.02.

Alternatively, they could backtrack towards Roads End, but explore Volcanic Lakes basin, and visit State Lakes (and Horseshoe Lakes, if they’re willing to walk cross country).

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

Thank you guys for your feedback.  Mathew, yes, I posted on Facebook too.   I have related the information to them.  These are experienced hikers that I’m sure will make the right decisions and not attempt something beyond their capabilities.   I just wanted to provide them with some feedback with folks familiar with the area.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Way to go Adam with the answer based in personal experience and statistics.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools