Topic

Any views on the DIAMONDHIDE UHMHPE fabric on Rocky woods?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Any views on the DIAMONDHIDE UHMHPE fabric on Rocky woods?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

I made the order of the 200D  DIAMONDHIDE fabric and were waiting to get and feel it:
    https://www.rockywoods.com/FABRICS/Technical-Fabrics/DIAMONDHIDE

According to the info from the web page, it’s two layers: one woven layer (consisting of 2/3 UHMWPE and 1/3 polyester) laminated to a PET film.

The thought that come to my mind is, this is a BETTER strategy than the Dyneema e.g. 150D DCF where there are three layers.

The 150D DCF stands at 5.0 oz, while the 200D DIAMONDHIDE claims only 3.5 oz. Then it may really come to the ideal fabric for a UL and tough backpack.

Anyone has real experience on this fabric?

Btw, the 200D DIAMONDHIDE was on the shelf not long ago.

Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

Today I made a laptop sleeve out of this DIAMONDHIDE 200D. It’s has a soft lining and weight at 46 grams in total.

Everything of the fabric works as I expected. This is a 200D UHMWPE fabric at incredible 3.3 oz.
    Comparatively, the arrogant 150D hybrid DCF at 5.0 oz, or even more, seems nobody.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Clean.  Did you work from a pattern or just make your own?

Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

For this laptop sleeve, I actually used Ruby script to draw a pattern automatically based on the Length, Width, and Depth, in Sketchup. And then I print the pattern 1:1 on a A3 paper for cutting. So basically the customization to any size down to 1mm accuracy is possbile.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

That’s pretty cool; nice job.  I’d like to see how a pack holds up when made in that material, but I’m willing to bet that if a durable laptop sleeve can be made from it, a pack will work as well.

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho
    Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

Update: P’alante is using it.

Ripstop is selling it.

And ZPacks also just launched this Ultra version of backpacks.

It would be interesting to observe if HMG will discard DSM …

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Brook, very interesting question!

Also, with all these “larger” cottage brands switching to these Ultra fabrics, I would assume the delamination issues have been solved. I will also assume that taping the seams is what prevents the initial failure points for film delamination of the fabric.

Have you been able to play with the lighter Ultra100 or any of of the other variants? I’m curious as to the stitch holding strength compared with other similar weighted fabrics such as 2.92 dcf and Liteskin LS07

Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

Hi, Eric, I believe the delamination issue still exist, theoretically at least, in Ultra fabrics, but I believe they have gone through testing before launching them. The Ultra surface is 1/3 poly and 2/3 UHMWPE and to my knowledge the portion of the poly is well thought to ensure the “composition” more stable. This may be because pure UHMWPE is a little difficult to be laminated to PET film.

I have no chance to work with Ultra 100 yet. The Ultra100 is comparable to DCF hybrid 50D in weight. But I would think stitching won’t an issue as long as you sew and then tape over the seam. This is the beauty of these kind of fabrics I like most: the shining side is tapeable so you both make the seam stronger and waterproof.

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho

Ripstop by the Roll has an interesting podcast with Challenge Outdoors, the company that makes Ultra. They (briefly) discuss some of the delam issues. The short story is that you do need to use some special construction techniques when sewing Ultra.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/ep-36-challenge-sailcloth

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools