Topic

Any Real World Reviews of Frogg Toggs Xtreme Lite Jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any Real World Reviews of Frogg Toggs Xtreme Lite Jacket?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I’m trying to find gear suggestions for our Scout troop and save families some money. Frogg Toggs often get recommended, but I know their downside is durability. They’re basically disposable.

I came across the Xtreme Lite jacket and wondering if it is more durable than the standard rain suits they sell at a little more money.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/xtreme-lite-jacket/

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I put in just the link and that happened..lol

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Thanks. I did see that Reddit review, and it’s a nice initial impression. What I haven’t been able to find is performance in the rain.

I’ll likely recommend one of the lightweight Frogg Toggs rain suits to parents for Philmont. Rain gear can get expensive, particularly lightweight rain gear and these kids sometimes outgrow their clothes during a camping trip. :)

Phillip M
    BPL Member

@phil-ak

I have seen several sets of Frog Toggs totally fail on their first camps in the backcountry near Ketchikan, Another on the second trail day at Philmont.

It is bad enough they are on my not recommended list.

-Phil

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I’ve heard tails of them tearing coming out of the package the first time. Scouts are even less likely to care for them and that’s my concern.

I was hoping since this jacket cost a little more, maybe it was sturdier.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It should be somewhat sturdier. Best to buy one pair and see first.

Jeff
    Spectator

@skroober-2

Another first impression on reddit. He provides some better pics of the difference of the underside material.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/comments/834qah/comparing_frogg_toggs_xtremelite_and_ultralite/

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Thanks!! I might be more likely to suggest scouts look at this model.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

It sounds pretty good for Boy Scouts. This is something I’ll suggest for our Philmont trip next year.

Thanks!!

Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

Locale: White Mountain National Forest

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Maybe the snark is a bit over the top here? Especially since your website is linked directly above the post you flagged as inappropriate? It was probably an innocent mistake. Lighten up.

As for the Xtreme Light series of Frogg Toggs, it seems like a nice upgrade from the standard. I agree that pit zips are a very nice feature to greatly expand the functional temperature range of a shell.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I made it a quote from the linked article. I did not post it as my words.

This falls well within fair use.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I just flipped through the section hiker article.  I found it odd that the original driducks were described as having poor breathability.  That is not consistent with most users who have posted here.  That is not consistent with Richard Nisley’s measurements.  I guess now I really don’t know how to gauge the breathability of the new Frogg Toggs.  Does anyone else have information on these?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Wow!

If anyone still wonders why so many of the BPL old guard have (mostly) silently disappeared, look no farther.  For the life of me I cannot understand why people think going instantly from zero to PISSED, with no attempt at communication in between, is appropriate behavior.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I deleted the quoted text. It’s not a hill to die on. I just want to find some thrifty rain gear for our troop.

Back to your original programming.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My tests showing the MVTR for the cheap rain gear discussed in this thread compared to some conventional rain gear is Here

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Thanks, Richard.  I had not seen that.  Is that using your new methodology mimicking hiking conditions?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ben,

It is the same test that Columbia used to acquire their Outdry EX patent. It is not my 32F and torrential rain test.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

“If anyone still wonders why so many of the BPL old guard have (mostly) silently disappeared, look no farther.  For the life of me I cannot understand why people think going instantly from zero to PISSED, with no attempt at communication in between, is appropriate behavior.”

+10

Kevin B
    Spectator

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

Holy cow,

Tell the scouts TO BE Careful  with their  $30 rain gear that breathes better than any $350 kit.   It will last year’s for many mindful scouts.  Others will learn a good lesson, and be more carefull of gear. Bring some repair tape and nobody gets hurt or broke.  And when they get home $30 and a trip to Wal-Mart will give them new kit and a fresh chance

’95 Eagle scout and O of A stuff

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Is any rain jacket truly breathable over extended periods of hiking in summer rain?

My goal is to present parents with options that work well for scouts. If they want to go with the cheapest option that even with diligent care will rip and tear (going by reports I’ve read from adult experience), they can do that. If they see greater value in an option that costs a little more, will last longer but isn’t as breathable, that’s their choice.

If the less expensive option doesn’t last through all of our shakedown hikes and another set has to be purchased, that’s not being thrifty if the somewhat more expensive option does last.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

@Brad P – my understand is, “possibly, yes”.

See https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/a-new-paradigm-for-understanding-wpb-fabrics/

Based on claims, Columbia OutDry Ex Featherweight, and Marmot EVODry based jackets (Men’s Eclipse and Phoenix), do not wet out, and so they remain just as breathable after 4 hours of rain as they are after 4 minutes.

I will probably be purchasing one of these for this summer’s trips, I just haven’t decided between the Columbia or the Marmot. I have greater trust in the Marmot brand generally, but I like the weight and the “permanent beading surface” of OutDry Ex Featherweight more.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I have a North Face HyperAir that I’m going to try. Most of those other options aren’t feasible for Boy Scouts due to cost.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools