Topic

Any interest in Tarp Kits?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Any interest in Tarp Kits?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Fabric cut to size, reinforcement patches and web pieces ready to sew together?

Video on making one.

For example, I figure I could sell a simple 5×8 kit of 30d silicone coated nylon that would sell shipped for $25. Easy Peezy first sewing project.

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Great idea!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Yes please!

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

Definitely interested in the concept.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

One of my first MYOG projects was a RayWay tarp kit.  It was relatively easy and I learned a lot.  I definitely recommend tarps as an early or first project.  I think RayWay tarps are a bit more complicated than the proposed Oware kit as the former has beaks.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

As far as kits from Oware, any chance you might offer an Alphamid kit?

-Michael

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Looking into all this.

Thanks,

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Definitely interested.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

RipStopByTheRoll does some pre-cut ready to sew kits, but the only tarp they offer is a hex tarp for hammocks.

I don’t have a lot of space to layout and cut big projects, so pre-cut kits is really appealing to a guy like me.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

This sounds like a great idea. Pyramid kits would set you apart from the competition. I’d personally be more interested in DCF flat tarp kits though…but as a first time beginner kit obs silnylon makes more sense.

For me, measuring and cutting out the pattern is usually the most difficult and time consuming part due to size constraints. I make a lot of my own stuff and would certainly be willing on occasion to purchase the pattern or precut large piece to save time and frustration.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Yea Dave, solo pyramid kits might be something DIY’ers would really go for here on BPL. I’d do it just like Questoutfitters does with their cat tarp, tipi tent and bivy kits, whereby you provide everything, pattern, materials and instructions. I wouldn’t do the pre-cut pieces, the patterns should be enough.

Flat tarps are boring, and besides there are many DIY’ers here on BPL who have pretty good sewing skills. You might also consider bivy and cat tarp kits as well.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and cut out the simple one panel 5×8 kits. There is. a coupon in gear deals for all fabrics, fasteners as well as the kit. Scroll down.

Will add more complex items as can.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools