Topic

Any good Chia seed bar tried and true recipes out there?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Any good Chia seed bar tried and true recipes out there?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I want to start eating more Chia seeds in general, but don’t really like eating them plain too much, and while plenty of pre made Chia seed bars out there are good, they tend to be expensive.  I can buy a couple pounds of Chia seeds from Costco for pretty reasonable.

Anyways, anyone make Chia seed bars that are tasty?  Haven’t done too much I-net research on it yet.

Initially, i thought about maybe blending some dates, figs, a little water, then adding chia in after and dehydrating it.  Maybe also add some boiled lentil flour to up the protein and lower the fat and sugar.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Your bar sounds good.

I had a commercial Curate chia/quinoa/strawberry/chocolate/pistachio bar the other day that was pretty tasty. The toasted quinoa had a nice texture. You might see if you can locate a Curate bar to taste the combination.

Dates are great in bars.

Interesting idea about the lentil flour. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Matthew.  That bar does sound pretty tasty!

I’m thinking the lentil flour might make it too gritty though.  Quinoa would be good, but it would already be high in carbs from the date/figs and quinoa would just add to that.

Whey from grass fed cows might actually be much better tasting, but i’d probably have to sprinkle it on after it’s dehydrated some, as i don’t think it would last too long and well if it absorbs too much water.

(I have reservations though about supporting cow dairy and it’s industry, though in reality, whey has long been more of a “waste” side product of cheese making, though it’s gained it’s own market in recent years. Argh, dang mixed feelings/thoughts)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Justin, you might like this chia bar of mine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Sarah, looks promising.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools