Topic

Any experience with this folding saw?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any experience with this folding saw?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

Really liking this design and it’s pretty light for a nice sturdy hacksaw.  I have a smaller Bahco Laplander Folding Saw that’s nice but this looks like more of a workhorse that can power through some harder wood with ease.  Anyone happen to have one that has any input?  Thanks

https://agawagear.com/collections/featured-collection/products/custom-boreal15-saw-kit

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have the 15″ Sven Saw and it’s really nice, but you do run into issues trying to cut bigger logs because of the slope of the brace.  It looks like the one you found fixes that to a big extent.

For only $39 for the Sven it might be worth a shot.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

At that length you are better off with a Silky. Longer length then a frame is needed, with this sort one you’ll be banging your fingers as you try to use the whole length of the blade.

Worth looking for a Bob Dustrude folding buck saw if you want something a little longer, made in Minnesota

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/packs/pack-accessories/bob-dustrude-quick-buck-saw/

Dan B
    BPL Member

@danben

I have a boreal21 and a silky 210mm and the bow saw just cuts a lot faster and not just because its a longer blade, it cuts in both directions and your hand and wrist are better aligned so you fatigue less.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Jessi
    BPL Member

@nore2691-2

I have the 21 and love it.  Like previously posted, cutting in both directions is awesome.  It is very well made and their customer service is great too.

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

I have the 21 also, and it’s a great tool.  Maybe a bit heavier than others, but does a good job of cutting.  The blade resists rotation/twisting while cutting due to the design of the attachment points.  Agawa’s customer service, and delivery to the lower 48 is good.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Fiskars has a newer version of their sliding saw with a 10” blade. About 8oz and $20 or so. https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/saws/power-tooth-sliding-carabiner-saw-10-92586935j

What are you guys using a large saw for?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I’ve found camp saw contentment with a Menards product a yardworks 13”curved blade pruning saw its 20” overall and claims to be made from high carbon Japanese steel. Throw away the sheath but hang on to the blade guard secure it with a couple rubber bands. Cost $20 weight 7.5 oz with guard,  stays sharp and cuts so well that I would not consider a 1 pound bow saw I’ve tried the Bob Dustrude saw I like it and it probably cuts a little better and might be my choice if I was building a cabin or did more bushcraft or my purpose was trail maintenance but I like smaller low impact fires Which is my main reason for bringing a saw

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Actually the Agawa looks very similar to the Bob Dustrude saw  but is even heavier in the 21” version. Looks like Bob D. has  died but his business is still in the family and they appear cheaper lighter and made in the USA I’d rather buy from the original than the copy

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Anthony, I have no experience with the Boreal 15 saw but from comments in the Piragis Northwoods catalog (where it is sold) they say the Boreal saw is the favorite of their guides. That’s good enough for me.

I’ve had a Sven Saw for fully 25 years and it is “OK” but the Boreal trapezoid design permits sawing a larger diameter log than the triangular shaped Sven Saw.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Personally I wouldn’t pack an 8 – 15oz saw backpacking. If you can out-think the lump of wood, a smaller blade will work just fine.

I’ve found the Opinel no.12 Pruning Saw at under 4oz’s (4.75″ blade) will handle all the cutting  needed for a backpackers campfire IME.

Caveat: I only make fires where legal, safe and sustainable (plenty of deadfall available). Obviously not everywhere is it appropriate to have a fire…

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Brad – I really like your “out-think a lump of wood” comment…It makes a lot of sense.  I’ve started carrying a small saw on my trips, primarily for trail maintenance.  In PA when we gather wood we’re usually able to find limbs that have fallen that are 2-3″ in diameter and then we use a “V” tree (two trunks close together) to break the limbs into fire-sized pieces.  We have, on occasion, cut part way through thicker limbs and then broke them the rest of the way like you show in your photo.

My hand started cramping up thinking you doing all of that cutting with a 4.75″ blade!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools