Topic

Any experience with P&G water purifier packets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any experience with P&G water purifier packets

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

While researching how to filter muddy water (Colorado River, etc) I came across an article about aid workers in Africa using Proctor and Gamble water purification powder. Claims are that it works well for muddy and silty water as it contains flocculants. Does anyone here have any experience with this product. It seems kinda pricey, but looks convenient.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Oops, I forgot to add a link to the P&G site – https://www.pg.com/csdw/pur-packet-technology.shtml

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Well, that’s interesting.  I am not a chemist, but I’m wondering if P&G is using a flocculent and some sort of chlorine-based disinfectant to achieve that yummy tap water taste.  It will be interesting to see if others have experience with this product.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I knew about that stuff, but I didnt know it was called “flocculents”

New fav word

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The Colorado River at the Little Colorado confluence –

The “Water Plant” –

ChloroFloc

After 30 minutes the sludge settles to the bottom of the ziplocks.  The pump isn’t necessary but does improve palatability. Adding a flavored “sport drink” powder also helps with masking the heavy mineralization taste. If you don’t pump, pour carefully to avoid the sludge.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
    Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I think the  only downside that i’ve seen so far is the time and each packet is for 10L but not sure if it can be used for smaller batches

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools