Topic

Any experience with a Husqvarna 500?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Any experience with a Husqvarna 500?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

My sister in law sent me one of her sewing machines to help replace the whole fleet of machines and sergers that burned in the fire.
    I have no experience with computerized sewing machines. I do have the manual but I am wondering about a quick setup with the most common stitches just to get started. What is the thickest fabric I can sew; thick denim?? Also curious on what people’s experience is with tension on these machines. I would rather prevent a disaster than having to fix it after the fact.
    Thanks.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Afraid I don’t know about that model.

When I visited family in Jönköping, Sweden next to the Huskvarna factory they told us about sewing machines that were recovered from 50 years at the bottom of the lake in a cargo ship  that were cleaned, oiled, and still ran. I bet it is a nice machine.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

It sure seems to be a solid little machine. Before I had my Babylocks, which self tension, I always ran into trouble with that so I am being chicken here, afraid to mess it up. I’ll “fire it up” tonight though. The repairs are piling up.

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

My Husqvarnas are models 141 and 350.  I haven’t needed larger than that.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I too, admittedly, was thinking about chainsaws when this thread popped up.  My local sewing shop, while decidedly a BabyLock and Bernina shop, still has great things to say about the Viking/Husky brand. I know I’ve contributed nothing to this thread except that it looks like a nice machine. I run an old Bernina 707 (call me old fashioned) and so I would be lost with one of those newer machines. If I had to buy new, I’d likely want a Pfaff, since they just look so sweet.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Mario thanks! I have a copy as well; was hoping for a shortcut but no such luck ;)

@David
    lol . I have a Stihl with a 14” that’s plenty for me.

@Michael
    , I am also more familiar with Babylocks and my first Bernina decades ago. It’s definitely the electronics here that intimidate me; mechanical seems friendlier and less trouble in the end..

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I think for some brands, electronics are no big deal, but I definitely understand the sentiment, which is why I bought a relatively simple, old machine

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Well, the Huskvarna 500 was a rather large motorcross bike, as I preferred the 250cc class.

However it was much more reliable than my Spanish built Ossa 250.

In the end, my Honda Elsinore 250 was the most reliable and cheapest to repair & maintain.

:-)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Missing my Honda 80

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Both of them :(

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Ehh. Sorry for whining. In the big scheme it’s nothing.
    Those are some awesome bikes Nick.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

By the way at the age of 15 I roamed the streets of Florence and the Tuscan countryside in my Aprila 50 enduro just like this one

Patricia P
    BPL Member

@pmoneto

I have a Husqvarna Viking Rose that looks almost identical to your 500. I’d be happy to help with your machine if you still have questions. It’s great for light work, terrible for heavier stuff like denim or multiple layers of any heavy fabrics. You can probably get 2 layers of light denim through it, but nothing more than that. Tension depends on fabric and thread being used for each project. Test swatch everything til your tension sits right, make a note somewhere of your settings, and you’re  good to go next time. It’s a great machine, as long as you’re not trying to go heavy duty with it

peter v
    BPL Member

@peter-v

opening move ; maybe pull the “hook”, ie : the bobbin carrier device, and, with the fine side of a fingernail emery board, gently stone the point. not to make things pointier, but just to affirm there is nothing like a burr on it from last time somebody bent/broke a needle. those teeny burrs can create all manner of annoyance.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I liked the 360. Not as heavy. Plenty fast.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools