Topic

Answers to you UL toothbrush dreams

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Answers to you UL toothbrush dreams

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Prison security and baby toothbrushes:

Haven’t been able to find a source to buy quantities smaller that 144 at a time, but the unit cost is less than $0.25.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Garage Grown Gear sells the white one above

Litesmith sells another similar one

My favorite for weekend getaways are the Colgate Wisps

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@JR: Thanks!

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

I have the one from Litesmith.  Okay, but a little to short for my liking.  This may be an item where saving a few grams just isn’t worth it, for me.  YMMV.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I always get these cheap ones from the bathroom at my dentist.  0.2 ounces.  They’re shorter than normal but long enough.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

How does anyone enjoy a stub for a toothbrush? You can’t easily angle and manipulate such a short tool effectively.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

The finger tip one gets my vote since it eliminates the handle issue entirely.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

The bamboo toothbrushes are pretty light…

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

The finger tip-condom one is for babies, but my advice is to never use it for that. Babies have very sharp teeth and it turns out that thin rubber doesn’t protect against that.

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

They used to give those away in garagegrown orders, and they’re so small it’s hard to use them. To get your molars, you’ve got to cram a few fingers in your mouth. I’ll stick to a full size toothbrush.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

I like the zpacks. Not a big fan of the really short brushes given the hygiene state on my fingernails is not the best after a few days in the backcountry. https://zpacks.com/products/ultralight-travel-toothbrush

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“You can’t easily angle and manipulate such a short tool effectively.”

You did that on purpose, didn’t you….

john mcalpine
    BPL Member

@cowpie

Agree with many here.  Those short ones require a few fingers to enter my mouth when reaching to brush a molar.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Agree.  My hands are more dirty than normal when on the trail, and I’d rather not jam one or more of them deep into my mouth while brushing my teeth.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I tried the fingertip version on one trip and it was really lousy…Like any gear, test at home before you’re in the field.  I also found the Wisp to be unsatisfying.  I do okay with the ZPacks toothbrush, but always look forward to getting home to my “real” toothbrush after a trip.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

For years I’ve used this toothbrush.  I seem to remember it being available separately, but even if not still super cheap, durable, works great and no fingers in the mouth :)

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I just picked up this folding travel toothbrush in the travel toiletries area at my local target.  Sprayco Microban Travel Toothbrush. Travel toothbrush

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This might be thread drift, but what are folks using for leave no trace “toothpaste”?

I am leading some Scouts through the camping merit badge and wanted to propose some alternatives that might be more attractive to them than salt or Dr Bonners Castile soap but less impactful than foamy spit out Crest.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

baking soda

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Yes, Baking soda.  Just rinse and swallow.  Dual purpose as an antacid. Other uses:

• made into a paste with water relieves bug bite itchiness
    • 3:1 water to baking soda makes a decent hand wash/semi-sanitizer
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Nothing.

I’m no dentist, but I think that the main purpose of toothpaste is for the flouride. So if you’re not using an alternative with flouride, why use anything at all? I stopped carrying toothpaste quite some time ago, I just brush with my toothbrush and water. After flossing.

Of course I still use toothpaste at home. For the flouride.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools