Topic

Another tent question – double wall, roomy, UL, freestanding for 1 small person?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Another tent question – double wall, roomy, UL, freestanding for 1 small person?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

Okay friends. Apologies for the fact that I’m not an all out sacrifice-every-ounce-for-comfort sort of gal, but I do like get as light as possible within certain parameters. Here’s what I’m currently after…a double walled tent that’s roomy enough for one small person and her pack to be inside and is truly freestanding. I’ve been reasonably happy using the MSR Freelight 2, but it’s not freestanding. Wouldn’t mind getting closer to 2 pounds packed weight than 3, as well. And yes, I’ll go 2-person just for me if it means I can be comfortable and not claustrophobic, but I’m open to roomy 1-person deals as well. Fitting pack inside with me is a requirement.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Lisa, too bad you missed out on Massdrop’s recent offering of Dan Durston’s splendid 1-P X-Mid tent. It checks all of your boxes. I think they might do another drop on that tent sometime this summer, but it won’t get to you before September. You might do a ‘want to buy’ posting on the Gear Swap forum, to see if anyone wants to sell his/hers. We paid $200 for ours, which was a great price. Even $250 would be reasonable, in case you need one soon.

Mike H
    BPL Member

@dvflyer

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1?

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

We are very happy with our Big Sky Soul. They have 1 and 2 person models that are fully free standing. The only negative is inherint to the design–pitch inner first.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

too bad you missed out on Massdrop’s recent offering of Dan Durston’s splendid 1-P X-Mid tent. It checks all of your boxes.

The X-MID 1p looks like a great shelter, but being trekking-pole-supported can it be called “truly freestanding”? It also does not look to be fully double-walled.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

FULLY free standing AND 2 lbs is a rare beast indeed. These are all very nice tents that seem to meet your specs.

The REI is quite inexpensive. The BA is unusually wide at the head end for a 1P.  The MSR is top quality all around.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1?

Indeed… hand’s down, the roomiest, most comfortable freestanding tent out there.

I’m not aware of ANY 2lb, freestanding tent. The closest I own is the Nemo Hornet 1P Elite… sub 2lbs, but not freestanding. It’s roomy enough for me @ 150 lbs/5’-10”, but it’s not in the same category of spaciousness as the BA CS UL1…

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

You might check out some of the Tarp Tent offerings, esp the Bowfin and Moment.  They are pretty light without breaking the bank.  I have no experience with them except for knowing that many folks like them.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

You might check out some of the Tarp Tent offerings, esp the Bowfin and Moment.

Great tents they may be, neither are freestanding.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I’m curious … why the necessity for freestanding?  Never had one, so curious.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Bowfin 1 is freestanding the way most “freestanding” tents are, you need to stake the vestibule out ( same with the BA…) , however it isn’t available right now and about 2.4 lbs , around the weight of some of the others mentioned in this thread.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

The Bowfin 1 is freestanding the way most “freestanding” tents are, you need to stake the vestibule out

Ah, yes. I’d forgotten the Bowfin is freestanding. My apologies for saying otherwise.

I think it’s most comparable to the older gen’s of the MSR Hubba.

Neat tent… I wonder what modifications are being made to it for its re-release?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

“The X-MID 1p looks like a great shelter, but being trekking-pole-supported can it be called “truly freestanding”? It also does not look to be fully double-walled.”

Indeed it’s not freestanding but it is fully double walled. There is a complete fly and inner which can pitch both together or separately.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’m curious … why the necessity for freestanding?  Never had one, so curious.

The only positive I can see is that it can be setup, then picked up and moved around which can be advantageous in finding precisely the best orientation on a difficult site.  Other than that, I much prefer a trekking pole supported shelter, even if I have to carry a set of poles just for that purpose. For a similar total weight they seem much more “sturdy”.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

^Thanks Dan, good to know. This is not clear (to me anyway) from the Drop listing. It might be in the descrip, I was looking mostly at the pics.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The Tiger Wall Platinum is lighter than the MSR Freelite 2 but the OP pointed out that the MSR ” is not freestanding” and that BA is similar , also requiring a minimum of 4 stakes to work.

(2 for the narrow end and two for the vestibules )

however it could be the best compromise between what is wanted and what there is.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Since we’re suggesting semi-freestanding tents, for a large, 2lb 1P I don’t think the Nemo Hornet Elite 2P can be beat. 3-4 oz’s lighter than the Tiger Wall. https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/hornet-elite/

For a genuine 2P tent, I’d go with the BA Tiger Wall since it’s definitely larger than the Hornet 2P. But for a palatial 1P the Nemo is the real deal. Neither come cheaply…

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I think Big Sky International is your best bet. The Soul in silnylon is just a hair over 2 lbs. If money is no object, go for one of their DCF tents! The Soul, Soul x2, and Mirage 2P are all well under 2 lbs in DCF form. The Mirage is not totally freestanding as the vestibules need to be staked out. But the Soul models are truly freestanding. Stunningly expensive, but pretty awesome. You can shave a few more ounces by going with the carbon poles, which is (lots) more expensive still!

http://bigskyproducts.com/big-sky-international-tents-and-shelters-cubic-fabric.aspx

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

My wife and I have both the tiger wall and nemo hornet 2p tents.

I consider them freestanding, because they stand up on their own. The foot corners don’t spread out on their own but thats ok. You are probably staking them anyway.

The Nemo is a few ounces lighter, but I like the Tiger Wall. There is a cross bar at the top that spreads it a bit so you have room to sit or change a bit easier. I also prefer the larger dual zip doors of the tiger wall.

Both tents fit the 2 of us fine, with packs in the vestibules.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

My wife and I have both the tiger wall and nemo hornet 2p tents.

I consider them freestanding, because they stand up on their own. The foot corners don’t spread out on their own but thats ok. You are probably staking them anyway.

The Nemo is a few ounces lighter, but I like the Tiger Wall. There is a cross bar at the top that spreads it a bit so you have room to sit or change a bit easier. I also prefer the larger dual zip doors of the tiger wall.

Both tents fit the 2 of us fine, with packs in the vestibules.

I really don’t consider the Hornet 2P a 2 person tent. It’s really more of a palatial one person tent. I had the older Hornet 1P and loved it so much I bought this years updated Hornet Elite 1P. For me it’s an ideal solo double-wall tent. But I don’t mind slender mummy bags or tents.

I completely agree, for 2 people the Tiger Wall is a better alternative because of the cross bar. If I didn’t already have a Copper Spur HV 2P I’d get the Tiger Wall. And, while I don’t think it’s strictly “freestanding”, it’s close enough to not split semantic nuclei. A brilliant compromise design that Big Agnes co-opted from Nemo (who likely lifted it from someone else).

There’s an old saying related to ideas… “amateurs borrow, professional’s steal.”

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

“And, while I don’t think it’s strictly “freestanding”, it’s close enough to not split semantic nuclei. ‘

The reason I commented on the freestanding bit was because Lisa, the OP , stated her MSR freelight 2 is not freestanding to her (if it is to me or you is not relevant…)

If the Freelight is not freestanding to her , neither are the Tiger Wall or the Hornet 2 because they use the same pole structure as that Freelight.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Franco, my comments weren’t to Lisa or you… they were to Aaron.

Conversation ebbs and flows, it’s not a static thing…

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

BA Copper Spur HVUL1 (in green). Was looking for a fully freestanding tent myself with 1 side entry, large vestibule, lots of head/arm room (at head and towards foot end). This one definitely has all that. It reminds me a lot of the Tiger Wall 2 “roomy factor”. I’m 6-1. Feels more like a 1 1/2 person tent.

Alex Fedorov
    Spectator

@afedorov

Personally i would not get a double wall tent that can not be pitched in the rain without exposing inner tent … From truly freestanding designs I would recommend Kuiu mountain star if a bit over 3LBs is acceptable.. Heard great things about Big Sky tents as well. I do have Kuiu storm star for the winter/later shoulder season use and its absolutely bombproof.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools