Topic

Another Rainwear thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Another Rainwear thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

Yes I have read the old threads but products keep changing.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You need to tell a little more about your needs in order to get the best suggestions.

For example rainwear needs for the sierra differ greatly from rainwear needs in Alaska.

What conditions do you plan on using the raingear in (I mean other than “rain” obviously).  Will they sit in your pack most of the time and you need them for the occasional thunderstorm, or will you be wearing them for days on end?

What features are important?  Weight?  Pitzips?  Pockets?

On trail or off?  If off trail, what are your durability needs?  Brush?

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

For several years I’ve been using DriDucks suits.  A jacket and pants set lasts me about 3-4 years.  The first set held up but then suddenly at age 4 lost its waterproofness at a bad time in heavy all-day cold rain in the middle of a trip.  Second set is shredded at age 3 after climbing over a bunch of blowdowns in the Weminuche, Rainbow Loop.  I like that these are cheap, waterproof, baggy and breathable, and light.  Everything fails eventually.  But I think it might be better to have gradual failure so I can see it coming in time to replace, rather than catastrophic failure at a bad time.

Thinking about the episode in Disco’s “I Hike” about hypothermia on the PCT and heading out to Portland to shop for “real” rainwear.  It could happen to any of us.  Looking through old rainwear threads, looking up recommended products.  Many are no longer offered.  Some look pretty spiffy but turn out to be short running shells that appear (from reviews) to be inadequate for all-day or heavy rain.  Pants options are limited. As are women’s sizes.

After much sifting, looking at a set of OR Helium II.  Light.  Women’s sizes.  Expensive (but not so bad for me b/c I can pro-deal).  No pit zips.  But:  Wondering if these would be any more durable than the DriDucks?  Would they also start to wet out after 3-4 years?

I don’t do a lot of off-trail (yet) but even on-trail can get gnarly if there are blow-downs.  My current kit is skirt instead of pants or shorts, leggings as needed for warmth, and the rain pants for wind and warmth as well as for rain.  So it needs to be pants and jacket rather than a poncho or rain kilt.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Sorry, I was typing my more extended question as a second post when you asked.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locations:  I backpack in Texas (Big Bend area, Guadalupes, etc.), Pacific Northwest, Colorado, New Mexico, Arkansas, Sierra.  Good rainwear could be needed anywhere.  I’ve experienced all-day cold rain in all those places including (contrary to reputation) the Sierra.  My husband is getting ready to retire so we might soon be exploring new locations and longer hikes soon.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Clearly I’ve given this thread an unattractive title. Still, would appreciate any information folks may have to offer.

For example, is my hope for a longer rainwear lifespan unrealistic?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

No, not unrealistic. Most regular raingear will last longer than driducks.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I think there’s only three good options for all day rain.  All others will fail eventually due to DWR failure causing the jacket to wet out.

1. Poncho (best for warmer weather)
    2. Columbia OutDry Extreme jackets (durable for bushwacking, no DWR)
    3. GoreTex Active / PBS, e.g. TNF HyperAir (lighter than OutDry but less durable)
    Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Thanks for the additional suggestions!  I am not finding any weights listed (on Columbia or REI sites) for the OutDry Extreme jackets or pants.  REI seems to be dropping them–jackets are on clearance, pants gone.  Maybe there’s a new version coming in the spring?  Or maybe they didn’t work out so well?  The technology looks intriguing.  Searching on GoreTex Active and HyperAir, finding jackets but not pants.  Some mens bike pants but they seem to be a different fabric/product.

Maybe go with just wind pants?  Might shed rain well enough while keeping core dry.  Just that, for example, it is raining when time to make camp, I am no longer walking steadily–ie no longer drying the leggings as fast as they get wet–so might definitely need the pants to be more waterproof than wind pants.

Often, not always, I am acting as a trip leader for a bunch of teens so am not in the solo-thru-hiker situation of being able to immediately set up my tarp and pop right into my sleeping bag and stay there during supper preparation.  Nor on those trips am I able to do supper on the trail an hour prior to camp arrival, with further opportunity to hike myself warm and dry again before camp.

Is it a consensus that the OR Helium isn’t a good choice?  Durability?  They are DWR so maybe that is the issue?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I like my helium jacket.  Its not just a DWR, Its a membrane… Shield+.

No issues for me.  I think its one of the jacket classes where it moves solid water, not vapor… meaning you may get wet, but it can dry out, just slowly.

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but that my take and experience with it.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

@elmvine – The Helium II seems to be a solid choice with a lifetime guarantee. You might also consider the Montbell Versalight jacket and pants.  I really like mine.

Another option for full coverage is a Packa. Its unconventional, but may just work for you.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have a light Rab Pertex Shield + that I think is similar to the Helium.  I went back to dri ducks for most trips.  Its lighter, breathes better, and has no DWR wet out issues.  3-4 years is not too bad for replacement.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I am not sure that they will be worth anything, but Columbia has some new Outdry Extreme jackets coming out (in the spring?) that are 6oz and 8oz .

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I used to own Propore jackets, and swore by them. However, I found this, and made the switch: http://ultralightinsights.blogspot.com/2016/04/gear-review-berghaus-vapourlight-hyper.html. It is significantly lighter, and more durable. I haven’t used it that much, but I did use it in a downpour, and it performed well. I stayed dry, and it was fine as far as breathability. I probably hiked seven miles in it, when the weather turned from drizzle to hard rain, and it worked well for all of it.

Most of the time my rain jacket isn’t worn, but stays in the pack “just in case” and this jacket is great for that. I’m sure folks who hike the Washington Coast in November might be able to find a better jacket for them; but for me, I think it is the best one out there.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

I’ve been really happy with my marmot essence rain jacket and pants. They stretch and breath quite well for a super light material, and the durability is decent. Some pin holes in the pants after wearing them for about a week strait, but no holes in the jacket after about 3 years. I owned an event shell prior to this and I would give the edge breathability wise to marmot’s nano pro membrain. Sierra trading post has them for half off right now. I just picked one up for a back up. Thats a high compliment coming from a habitual upgrader.

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

I have a nice Mountain Hardware hardshell, but its heavy I like it best for cold weather.  I tried the MB Versalite, but that was not breathable nor particularly waterproof an while it isn’t a bad jacket it pissed me off that it didn’t live up to it’s marketing and wasn’t returnable.  Then I hopped on the LHG bandwagon for the PCT:

https://sectionhiker.com/lightheart-gear-rain-jacket-review/

There are things that I don’t love about my LHG jacket, but it is dependable, should last a long time, easily repairable, and comes at a good price point.  Chasing the latest WP/B train seems like a good way to spend cash but not much else.

Just my 2 cents.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

My personal opinion is that the 3 puchases most influenced by personal preference/fit/hiking style are, in order, shoes, backpack and raingear.  Looking at posts on this site will quickly reveal a plethora of opinions, solutions and systems for rainy weather.

While I long ago identified what I needed in footwear and backpacks, I’m still on the rainwear journey…I think because I get so little oportunity to try things out.  As others have said, raingear stays mostly in the pack.

Currently: In warm weather with little risk of hypothermia, I just get wet…the rain feels good and I’m cleaner at the end of the day.  In upper 50s to 60s my current kit includes a sil rain wrap and either a Packa or Zpacks cuben poncho.  For sporadic cold rain I find the Versalite jacket to be sufficient, but for prolonged rain I go with a heavier Gortex jacket that I know will keep me dry for long periods of time. For all times when pants are appropriate I like the MB Versalite pants as breathability in rain pants is not so important (to me).

I dont expect my choices to work for many, but offer them up on the chance they do.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I think the Packa is worth considering as well. It’s silnylon so it’s not going to wet out and has excellent mechanics ventilation because it’s placed over your backpack straps. It keeps your pack dry like a poncho but it doesn’t blow around as much as ponchos do. You can don/doff it while walking. It’s a pretty nice setup.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I’m a big fan of Outdoor Research. I had a Helium HD where a hole had formed in the membrane and I inquired about the cost of repair. A friendly representative kindly offered to exchange the jacket at no cost to me.

As for the Helium II jacket itself, I have had a fair bit of experience with it too. After owning it, I decided that it was also worth owning the Helium pants for those fun shoulder season times where it can be nasty cold and wet all day.

However, as I pack for a weeklong trip in the Tetons I am thinking about taking a hardier rain shell. It is forecast to rain every afternoon and the Helium II, while keeping me mostly dry and warm, gets soggy easily. The fabric beads water for awhile, but in extended rains it gets waterlogged – more so than shells made of tougher, more textured fabric, even with fresh DWR proofing.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I guess I should add that While I love My Helium, I have moved on to a more substantial Beta LT for my beloved PNW shoulder seasons.  The helium couldnt handle the whole “three day rain” thing

DS
    Spectator

@dsterling

Locale: Northern Rockies

Big fan of Arc`teryx Beta SL. SuperLite might be an overstaement but in its respective class its extremely durable and functional for the weight. Lrg Jacket 12.0 oz, Med Pant 9.2 oz.

FWIW

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

The helium couldnt handle the whole “three day rain” thing

I think that is a statement that applies to the MB Versalite as well.  In fact, No UL rain jacket I have ever owned can handle several days of rain. 3L Goretex is pretty much the gold standard in those conditions.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

In fact, No UL rain jacket I have ever owned can handle several days of rain. 3L Goretex is pretty much the gold standard in those conditions.

Exactly.  Hence my recommendations for non-DWR dependent gear.  The 3L GoreTex will eventually wet out too, but you’ll likely have time to retreat between trips before they fail.  A poncho will never fail, nor will the new non-DWR tech short of physical damage.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

We use silnylon ponchos. There have been several trips in Europe where we have had a couple of WEEKS of rain before we got the sun. The silnylon ponchos worked fine.

Cheers

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Yes.  I like the Zpacks poncho except for the exposed arms.  The Packa solves the sleeve problem :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools