Topic

Another MYOG Trailstar

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Another MYOG Trailstar

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    James Dick
    BPL Member

@bignfuzzy

Locale: (null)

With inspiration from:

5 sided silnylon pyramid tarp (MLD Trailstar clone, but slightly smaller), lots of process pics… (x-post /r/ultralight) from myog

http://ivovanmontfort.blogspot.be/2013/01/verwerken-van-silnylon-stof.html

https://backpackinglight.com/myog-laminating-silicone-impregnated-fabrics/

Next one will have the gear loops inside positioned a little closer to the ceiling instead of at the halfway point in the seam.

The panels are 6.5′ on each side.  Which makes it a little cozy for someone 6′ tall.  I see the reason for the MLD 7′ panels.

Need to figure out a better way to reinforce the top.  Initially thought I would laminate reinforcements, but couldn’t get a patch to look right.  Finally cut two pieces of Dyneema and sewed one on top and bottom.  Looks like hell close up, but seems to work.

Total weight ~ 480 grams w/ tieouts.  10 cheap alloy stakes from ebay add another 140.

I’m now REALLY good at flat felled seams.  Used a seam allowance of 1″ on one side and 1/2″ on the other – next time I’ll use 1″ seam allowances on both, and then trim the seam allowance that’s hidden.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice job!

I like how the top reinforcements don’t line up : )  Little defects like that always make me laugh.  Still works fine.

I assemble tent without reinforcement at top and set it up.  Take a circle of reinforcing fabric and put it over top.  Put a hand stitch at each flat felled seam – 6 total.  Pull on the fabric to make it tense.  There will be a fold between each to use up the extra fabric because it’s a circle going over a pyramid.  Then I take down tent and sew around the perimieter, twice.  More detail and a picture:

https://backpackinglight.com/myog_silnylon_floorless_2-person_tent/

I just use 1/2 inch for each side of flat felled seam.  I don’t bother cutting one side to half that.  Silnylon is thin enough it doesn’t matter.  And it makes the seam a tiny bit stronger.

If you were using thick fabric it would be more important to cut one side of flat felled seam to one half.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Very nice – I want to try making one sometime too, ever since I sat out a rainstorm under a Trailstar with a group of people!

James Dick
    BPL Member

@bignfuzzy

Locale: (null)

I like how the top reinforcements don’t line up : )  Little defects like that always make me laugh.  Still works fine.

I assemble tent without reinforcement at top and set it up.  Take a circle of reinforcing fabric and put it over top.  Put a hand stitch at each flat felled seam – 6 total.  Pull on the fabric to make it tense.  There will be a fold between each to use up the extra fabric because it’s a circle going over a pyramid.  Then I take down tent and sew around the perimieter, twice.  More detail and a picture:

I used just about every method for holding the fabric while sewing I could think of.  First seam (1st on the right) was pinned.  Worked ok, but pins.  I hate pins.  And it seemed harder to pull the seam flat and tight for the final stitch.  The  wonky one visible was a basting tape experiment.  By the fourth one, I was using binder clips every six inches, and things lined up pretty well

The MYOG sil nylon pyramid tutorial was indeed where the reinforcing cap idea came from.  It’s cut and overlapped instead of folded, but seems to hold fairly well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools