Topic

Another MYOG question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Another MYOG question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

My question really boils down to this. Do you see any issues with having the pad sleeve and actual pad over the hipbelt (just like GG) when using a winged hipbelt instead of full wrap?The wings will be attached 5″ apart at the center of the pack like the below photo.

More info on build for context:

I’m building somewhat of a Gorilla/Mariposa cloan but in X-PAC. However, I plan to run the stays along the outside of the pack. I will be putting in two mesh sections for pad pockets, nearly identical to GG and the stays will run right into sleeves on the back of the hipbelt. My question really boils down to this. Do you see any issues with having the pad sleeve and actual pad over the hipbelt (just like GG) when using a winged hipbelt instead of full wrap?

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I think it would work fine as long as the winged belt is not attached too far from center of the pack. The fit just seems to get wonky when the wings are mounted too wide, for me anyway.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

The pack will be 11″ wide. Each wing will be attached 3″ from the outside of the pack which puts them 5″ apart.

R
    Spectator

@autox

I don’t think the pad cares how the belt is attached.

That said, I’d go full wrap if it’s not too late.  Wings just introduce seams in what is probably the highest tension area of a pack.  Full wrap gives continuous fibers from one side of the buckle to the other.

A friend of mine had a big brand pack w/ a winged belt… until he had to sew it back together on the trail.  Fortunately it was the back panel that tore along the inside of the wing seam – his repair didn’t have to take full belt tension.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools