Topic

Another MYOG pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Another MYOG pack

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Hey everyone,

Thought I would share my latest MYOG pack that I recently finished.

Details in next post!

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

This is my 5<sup>th</sup> total backpack with the first being a Rayway kit. This is the first time I have incorporated a removeable hipbelt design, load lifters, carbon stays, and stretch mesh shoulder pockets. I estimate the total volume somewhere around 45-50l or so.

Materials:

HyperD 300

Stretch mesh (normal weight from quest)

3/8″ foam

1/8″ 3d spacer mesh

Omnitape (for rolltop closure)

Lineloc3

5/8 plastic buckles

1/8 shockcord

2.7mm MLD yellow cordage (perfect fit for lineloc3)

Grosgrain and webbing (various widths)

18” carbon fiber tube (easton 3.9 custom)

Removeable hipbelt from ULA minus foam padding

Removeable backpad/sitpad is ridgerest cut to ula ohm backpanel size

IMG-20181206-083601912 IMG-20181206-083609539 IMG-20181206-083640676 IMG-20181206-083702105 IMG-20181206-083712130 IMG-20181206-083748642 IMG-20181206-083755241 IMG-20181206-083819334 IMG-20181206-083905606

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Here it is in comparison with the last few packs I have made. It is the largest by a good margin. The middle black pack came with me while through hiking the Long Trail this past October.

IMG-20181205-183958549-LL

AG
    BPL Member

@dlkj83jdk3883ll

i like how you did the frame. i assume that’s an off-the-shelf hipbelt? that’s smart — the hip and shoulder straps are always such a pain to sew. i did the LT in ’17 but, alas, not with an myog pack. cool!

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Looks great.  Weight?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Uh oh, looks like you have an addiction problem, making packs : )

I just threw out a bunch of old ones I built.  I have just the last one which I currently use and the previous one I could use if the last one breaks.

Looks like a nice pack, well done

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Looks great! I really like how you have arranged the hipbelt and lumbar area with the cut ridgerest. I think this is something that has been a bit missing from ultralight frame designs. KS ultralight does similar but with a full width pad section over the lumbar, making the hipbelt not quite conform properly.

the only concern I would have is the cut continuiing up the pad as a tear…but who knows?

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

The other thought I’ve had (I really like lumbar pads) is to do a lumbar pad that is attached at the base like normal, but extends up (without padding at the top) to past the line of the hipbelt, with “wing straps” that then connect to the side of the pack. This would allow a pad like what you’ve done to sit behind the lumbar pad for structure, but allow extra lumbar support, and also the use of soft meshes.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Thanks for the compliments!

AG – Yes, the hipbelt is an off the shelf ULA size xs. I wanted to feature a removable hipbelt so I grabbed my ohm and studied hard. I tried to mimic the velcro attachment as best I could. It is the same hipbelt that I through hiked the AT with except I removed the foam padding inside both sleeves. I do not feel they are necessary and they remove a smidgen of weight from this heavy but comfy 5.5oz hipbelt.

Daryl and Daryl – Total weight is 24oz. I’m happy with the weight considering all the “features” in this bag and the excessive hipbelt. Alas, I could shave weight in the areas of smaller cord for the lineloc’s, smaller hipbelt, smaller/nix the shock cord, and go without the velcro in the roll top. I’m guessing an easy few ounces could be had.

Jerry – Ouch, I could not threw mine away. I could “sell/give away” though!

Adam – KS Ultralight is exactly where I was looking when I considered the carbon external frame set. I had actually studied as best I could Laurent’s frame set through pictures. I spent much time doing this and towards the end of my mocking up, I actually discovered that KS has changed the attachment system for the tubes. I am curious to see how my setup works while a little hesitant that the seam might not hold. I do, however, feel for my weight capacities that this type of frame set will work.

I wanted to use the frame set and use the removable hipbelt while retaining the use of a removable backpad/sitpad. I kind of quickly decided to simply cut slits through my pad without thinking too much of it. We’ll see if the pad/slits hold up!

Much thanks to ULA and KS Ultralight in some of the design inspiration!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools