Topic

Annual Trip Loop Advice – Eastern US

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Annual Trip Loop Advice – Eastern US

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Hey folks, it’s that time of year again. I’m trying to put together the loop for my boys trip for upcoming Spring. We should for something around 30 miles over four days and prefer something in the region of NC, SC, TN, VA. This year we did IMG to 19E in Roan Highlands and that was a no go for a few of the guys. They had to call a shuttle and bail due to the difficulty. As such, I assume Linville Gorge would be a no go based on what I’ve read?

Please let me know if you have any recommendations. FWIW, two years ago, we did a loop using the Chatooga River and Foothills trails and loved that loop. Moderate difficulty but nothing too bad.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

There are so many backpacking trails and loops in the Southeast to choose from—But I recommend exploring the Mountains to Sea trail East of Linville Gorge including Steels Creek, Upper Creek, Raider Camp Creek, Harper and North Harper, Lost Cove Creek and Gragg Prong—and all the side trails from these trails mentioned.

I just pulled a 24 day backpacking trip in the area and there’s plenty places to hike.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Grayson Highlands is an obvious choice.  Slickrock is a good choice.  Smokies have lots of loops.  Pisgah Forest has many popular routes.  There are a couple nice routes in the Big Frog/Cohutta area; it’s full of river crossings.

Linville Gorge is more difficult hiking than Roan, as I remember.  It’s been a while.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Due to having to push this back to May, we’re wanting to move more north for cooler weather. What do you guys like in West Virginia?

George Ford
    BPL Member

@eers2u

Locale: West Virginia

I like the North Fork Mt. trail but it would require a shuttle.  Around 25 miles, relatively easy hiking as well.  Water sources are almost nil but you can cache water around halfway as a FS road runs to the top of the mountain and intersects the trail.   Outstanding scenery.

Lots of loop hikes available in Dolly Sods but it can get crowded if you are going on the weekend.   Google will have many options.   Some really nice spots out in the Roaring Plains area – they are all off the designated trails but have decent use trails.   Trout Run area would be a possibility as well – not as many views or unique areas as the Sods or NFM but  relatively easy hiking with about 3 nice viewpoints, albeit of the same valley, just different angles.   Look up Trout Run Circumnavigation in Google.   Think it’s around 31 miles.

Otter Creek Wilderness also a possibility.   Check out midatlantichikes.com for more routes in VA, WV.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools