Topic

And the Nice list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique And the Nice list

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

This one is more fun, because these are the people who make getting out into the mountains easier for everyone:

The firefighters and first responders who are called every summer to save people, homes, and vast swaths of forest. You are heroes indeed.

The endlessly patient people who work in our parks and explain the rules and regulations over and over to people who don’t want to hear them and don’t want to follow them. Somebody please buy them a beer.

The endlessly enthusiastic people on the internet who offer free advice to anyone who asks. And that includes everything from experience with various types of gear, to beta on just about any kind of hike or any off-trail route. Pretty darn cool.

The volunteers that do everything from answer questions to work on the trail crews that give added value to our parks. We’ve spent many an hour with these folks, and they are wonderful.

The Search and Rescue teams who drop everything to come and help those who really need it. Thankfully, we have never had to ask, but we have enormous respect and admiration for these folks.

The amazing people who offer to take others into the mountains, whether they be friends, family, kids groups, church groups…anything that gets more people to love the outdoors is a good thing. We need all the voters we can get.

And speaking of voters, a nice word for the politicians who do what they can to protect our wild and scenic places.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I can’t respond to the nasty thread. I don’t have any more angry in me without risking a stroke. Lol

But this one is great. Nice- the friend who met me at the top of the Golden Staircase on the JMT and offered to carry my pack to the campsite! (I declined, but it sure was a wonderful offer.) The folks in my area who worked to fix a trail damaged by hunters on ATVs. My friends who still patiently ski with me even though I get worse at it every year. The guy who sold me his down pants – in BPLs gear swap; they are awesome for cold cabin trips! Score. Other gear swappers too – have gotten some great deals over there. And even sent stuff to me for free! Who does that?! BPLers do.  Everyone who has worked to conserve parks, public lands, and nature everywhere. Where would we be if they put a Walmart at the bottom of the Grand Canyon?!  And they would; people have to step up and stop it. The expert birders who have helped me learn. Ditto on the helpful advisers here and on other forums. The folks who can debate without being mean. The men here on BPL who aren’t sexist (I’d add some to the other list too…). Most importantly the women here! Thank you for persisting or I wouldn’t be on here at all. The creators who make really nice YouTube, blogs, or write books that inspire us. Our teachers of all kinds, and right now our doctors and nurses who are working their butts off. And thanks to the researchers who gave us mRNA vaccines; that work will change the world. Merry Christmas!

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Thanks, Karen.  As a teacher, I love it!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

^^ And those of you who helped move the Bears Ears over to the protected side of the ledger.

And thanks for all the Good Shepherds and all the Stewards who guide, teach, study, and lend a hand up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools