Topic

Amber Monfort JMT take 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking Amber Monfort JMT take 2

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

She is now pinging every hour, and it is going to come down to the wire! At 7:43am (98 hours elapsed time) she had about 8.3 miles to go. She is going to have to do better than 4mph to finish in under 100h! Can she do it?

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Updated table and profile through the Half Dome junction…

No time for much analysis, but she’s having a very strong finish, and is in fact moving faster than she did last year.

However, she rested on her way down Donohue last night, and I think that stop probably rules out going sub-100.

She’s got 55 minutes to cover the 5.66 miles to Happy Isles to go sub-100. She’s going to have to knock over some day hikers to do it!

Awesome, awesome. Really going to take a huge chunk out of the existing women’s FKT.

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

Amazing effort, I now agree that she will not finish under 100 hours but she has put in an amazing performance nonetheless. She took a full day off the FKT last year and she is very close to taking a big chunk off her own FKT this year.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

She sure beat my 22-day SOBO record :)

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

She is done, looking forward to her trip report and official time! From her final ping I would guess she finished between 10:30-11:00 this morning so somewhere right around 101 hours – a new women’s unsupported FKT by about 19 hours compared to her previous FKT of 120h 37m. Very impressive, well done Amber!

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Yep, job well done!

From her last message, I forecast completion around 11:00 AM which puts her at around 101h 15m, plus or minus 15m or so from ambiguity on start and especially finish.

Her old record was 120h 37m, so that’s about 19h 22m taken off!

She’s now a member of the prestigious 2 mph club–Whitney Portal to Happy Isles at over 2 mph.

If you ever wander into this thread Amber, congratulations, very well done!

I’ll update the profile and table for posterity’s sake when I get a chance. First I need to rest and eat a cheeseburger!

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Thanks for all the updates and the dusted off code generating the tables and profile was great.

I checked a bit but hadn’t seen a trip report yet (hopefully because Amber is too busy eating Pizza).

Looking forward to one in the future.

edit – Pizza seems finished. Here is the trip report.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Wowsers!  Congrats Amber-a Herculean effort

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I just quickly scanned Amber’s trip report (will study it in depth later).

found it interesting that she claims to have carried a bear can.

am I wrong in recalling that most recent past attempts by others did not bother to follow this rule ?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

just a note :

Amber goes by Amber Weibel (Ryan’s last name) on ultra signup.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools