Topic

Am I reading Sno-Tel right? re: Beartooths snow levels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Am I reading Sno-Tel right? re: Beartooths snow levels

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Found this

https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportGenerator/view/customSingleStationReport/daily/326:wy:SNTL%7Cid=%22%22%7Cname/-7,0/WTEQ::value,WTEQ::delta,SNWD::value,SNWD::delta

My interpretation is it means there’s 19 inches of snow at Beartooth Lake, melting at 2 inches a day/give or take.

A) Am I reading it right?

B) Seems like that means Bearthooths are still basically snowed in?

Thanks!

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Argh, link might not work. Here’s the screenshot. 

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

The lake is at 8960 and the weather station is at 9360, so there is probably much less snow at the lake. And the highway is open.

But the Forest Service campgrounds all appear closed. I’d probably give a call to the nearby ranger’s station to get more info on what is actually “open”.

(I’ve only traveled through there once before, and remember the roads all opening up right around July 4th.)

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I just spoke with someone yesterday who had skied some lines in the Beartooths earlier this week.  Melting fast, he said, but still plenty of snow for summer turns.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools