Topic

Altra Lone Peak to Superior

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Altra Lone Peak to Superior

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello.  I’ve currently using a pair of Altra Lone Peaks that I like very much but need to replace.  Prior to the Lone Peaks, I’ve used “minimalist” shoes but now prefer something with a rock plate.  I didn’t realize that the Superiors had a rock plate, so now I’m interested in comparing both.

I’d appreciate feedback from anyone who has used both extensively.  I’m going to hike the SHR this summer, and I’m also wondering if a bit more protection is a good idea.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

If you like the Lone Peaks why not just buy the Stone Guard that comes with the Superiors that they sell on their site and put them in your Lone Peaks.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Ok, now I’m confused. I just bought a pair of Lone Peaks and a pair of Superiors. Unless I’m going crazy, the Lone Peaks have a built in rock plate and the Superiors have a removable pair.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

If he feels like the rock plate isn’t enough in his Lone Peaks he can add the removable one that comes with the Superiors

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Sorry for the confusion!  Both the Lone Peaks and the Superiors have a rock plate.  I intended to communicate that I like minimalist shoes with a rock plate, and had initially purchased the Lone Peaks not knowing the Superiors had a rock plate too.  I’m debating whether to now purchase a pair of Superiors.  Hope that makes sense.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

I just bought a pair of LP 2.5 after reading some reviews of both the LP 2.5 and Superior 2.  From what I gather, there actually isn’t a big different between the two, since the Superior 2 is more like the LP 2.5 compared to the last gen (1 or 1.5), which were more minimal (lol).  I haven’t tried the Superior 2, but I can say the LP 2.5 fit my foot better than any shoe ever (really) and they feel fantastic.  Just enough cushioning for long days, rocks, granite, etc., but not as top heavy and unstable as the Olympus 1 that I used last summer.  Even with the rock plate/stone guard they are flexible enough to feel the ground.

HYOH, but if I were doing the SHR I wouldn’t want something too minimal given the terrain and trail, or lack thereof.  However, you could get both models from somewhere like Running Warehouse; they have excellent shipping and returns.  I got my LP 2.5 for ~$75 with free overnight shipping to California.

Lastly, I read that the LP 3 are coming out in July and are supposed to be a bit lighter but still quite similar, so if your hike is after late July, it might be worth looking into those.

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

I just got the Superior 2 and love them!  Tried the LP 2.5 in the store also and they felt good too but I just liked the feel of the Superior a little more – they felt a tad more minimal and not quite as spongy/cushy with a better feel for the ground.  So I’d say if you want more cush, go with the LP 2.5, if you want a bit less cush and a more connected feeling to the ground, then go for the Superior 2.  The Superior also has a lower stack height and is a bit lighter weight.  They are both awesome so you really can’t go to far wrong.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I have LP2, LP2.5 and Sulerior 2.  I’m on my 2nd pair of LP2 and Superior2s. All are good shoes for sure. Injuries keep me from any serious use these last few years but I can say I am normally using the superiors and the lone peaks get swapped in to give my feet a new look occasionally then back out. Superiors are about a full size smaller. My LPs are 12.5 and my Superiors 13s, wishing they came in 13.5. I like the more minimal feel of the Superior but miss the wider footbox of the Lone Peaks. Also missing heal lock lace points found on LP2 but lost on newer models.

-Tim

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The 2016 superiors have a much wider toe box. I could never have worn the 2015 models. I use mine with the insole and rock plate removed so I can have more volume for my high arch. They are definitely a minimal shoe, you can still feel small rocks under your feet. I think a lot of people would be uncomfortable using them on rocky ground.  Less minimal than something like the new balance minumus. If you like minimalist shoes you will like the superiors.

Kona
    BPL Member

@kcsupertramp

Locale: San Diego

I to have just gone from the superior 1.5 to the lonepeak2.5.I really love the earthy feel of the superior 1.5 and feel they would hold up better than the new version.Has anyone had any problems with the new material of the superiors and any durability issues?

+ 1 to what David said

Like Drew mentioned the new lp 3.0 are due out in late July.I talked to an ultra rep and she said they have solved some durability issues they have had with the 2.5s.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks for the feedback.  I have ordered both the Lone Peaks and Superiors so that I can compare.

Has anyone tried the new Golden Spike model?

https://www.altrarunning.com/men/golden-spike

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools